You can add a vCenter Server to the Skyline Collector.
For detailed instructions for how to create a user account with the given permissions, see Knowledge Base Article 59661.
The following role/privileges are required for the account used to add the vCenter Server to the Skyline Collector. These role/privileges are sufficient for both collecting product usage data, and transferring support bundles with Log Assist.
vCenter Server Read-Only role
- To add a vCenter Server to the Skyline Collector, follow these steps.
- Enter the FQDN/IP Address of the vCenter Server.
- Enter a Account Username for connecting to the vCenter Server, from the Skyline Collector. This account must have the minimum required privileges, as detailed within the Prerequisites.
- Enter the Account Password.
- If you are using an external PSC/SSO, or are using a custom Single-Sign-On domain, toggle the Use Custom SSO Configuration button to the right. The switch states Yes, and turns Green.
- Enter the PSC/SSO Host Address.
- If you did not change the PSC/SSO configuration from the default, you DO NOT have to complete the Advanced Options (Optional) fields. If you are using a custom SSO domain, enter the SSO Admin URL, SSO STS URL, and Lookup Service URL for the custom SSO domain.
To locate your SSO domain Advanced Options, see the vCenter Server vpxd.cfg file.
In vCenter Server Appliance 6.x, the vpxd.cfg file is at/etc/vmware-vpx/.
In Windows Server, the vpxd.cfg file is at C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware
In vCenter Server 6.0, the vpxd.cfg file is at C:\ProgramData\VMware\vCenterServer\cfg\vmware-vpx.
- You can choose to collect product usage data from all data centers managed by the vCenter Server, or select which data centers to include in the collection of product usage data. A Datacenter consists of the ESXi hosts, virtual machines, and the configuration, feature usage, and perform data for these objects.
Yes, Collect from All data centers
To Collect from All data centers, toggle the switch to the right. The switch states Yes, and turns Green. The Skyline Collector collects product usage data from all data centers managed by the vCenter Server.
No, only Collect from select data centers
To only Collect from select data centers, toggle the switch to the left. The switch states No, and turns Grey . Click Add. A list of data centers is displayed. Check the checkbox next to each data center that you want to include in Skyline.
- To complete adding the vCenter Server to the Skyline Collector, click Add.