Updated on: 14 JUL 2020
VMware Skyline Collector™ 2.5 Release Notes | 14 July 2020
NOTE: These Release Notes do not provide the terms applicable to your license. Consult the VMware Product Guide and VMware End User License Agreement for the license metrics and other license terms applicable to your use of VMware Skyline Collector.
Check for additions and updates to these release notes.
What's in the Release NotesThe release notes cover the following topics:
- About VMware Skyline Collector
- What's New in this Release
- Feature Enhancements
- Resolved Issues
- Known Issues
- Upgrade Instructions
VMware Skyline™ is a proactive self-service support solution aligned with VMware Global Support Services. VMware Skyline automatically and securely collects, aggregates, and analyses product usage data to proactively identify potential issues, security vulnerabilities, impacts to usability, and configuration recommendations. Additionally, Skyline Log Assist assists VMware Technical Support Engineers improve time-to-troubleshooting.
VMware Skyline enables richer, more informed interactions between customers and VMware without extensive time investments by Technical Support Engineers. These capabilities transform support operations from reactive, break/fix to a proactive, predictive, and prescriptive experience that produces an even greater return on your VMware support investment.
For more information, see VMware Skyline.
NSX-T Data Center Support
Skyline now provides proactive analytics, and supports the ability to transfer support bundles, for NSX-T Data Center. To receive proactive analytics, and transfer support bundles, for NSX-T Data Center, customers must add their NSX Manager nodes cluster virtual IP address (VIP) to the Skyline Collector.
Important: In order to transfer support bundles for NSX-T Data Center objects, a user account assigned the NSX Enterprise Administrator role is required. For proactive analytics (Findings & Recommendations) only, a user account assigned the NSX Auditor role is required. For more details, please see Product Account Permissions within the Skyline Planning and Deployment Guide.
NSX Auditor Role Support for Log Assist, for NSX-V (NSX Data Center for vSphere) version 6.4.6
With the release of NSX-V (NSX Data Center for vSphere) version 6.4.6, a user account assigned the NSX Auditor role has privileges to transfer support bundles. With the release of Skyline Collector version 2.5, customers using NSX-V version 6.4.6, can use a user account assigned the NSX Auditor role, to add the NSX-V Manager to the Skyline Collector, for both proactive support analytics, and to transfer support bundles.
Customers using a version of NSX-V prior to 6.4.6 must still use a user account assigned the NSX Administrator role, if they prefer to use the support bundle transfer capabilities of Skyline Log Assist.
For all versions of NSX-V, and NSX-T, the NSX Auditor role is sufficient for collecting product usage data, for the purposes of providing proactive support analytics (Findings & Recommendations) only.
The deployment of the Skyline Collector is supported on VMware products and solutions that are Generally Available and have not met their End of General Support date.
Skyline provides proactive support analytics for the following products and solutions:
- vSphere: 5.5 and above
- vSAN: 6.0 and above
- NSX-V (NSX Data Center for vSphere): 6.2 and above
- NSX-T Data Center: 2.5 and above
- Horizon View: 7.0 and above
- vRealize Operations Manager: 6.6 and above
NOTE: VMware does not support the deployment of the Skyline Collector in VMware Cloud environments, such as VMware Cloud on AWS. Skyline is designed to provide proactive analytics for customer on-premises deployed products and solutions.
The following issues are resolved in this version of Skyline Collector.
- If the customer had modified the Root Password Expiration setting from the default, after upgrading the Skyline Collector, the Root Password Expiration setting would be set to the default. In this version of the Skyline Collector, the Root Password Expiration setting is now retained during upgrade.
- Resolved an issue where products added to the Skyline Collector may be removed during upgrade.
- Resolved an issue where the Skyline Collector user interface states that an upgrade is available, even though the customer is using the most recent version of the Skyline Collector (no upgrade available).
The following issues are known within this version of the Skyline Collector.
- The virtual appliance network configuration may be erased, or the network service may not start, after the virtual appliance restarts, as-part of the upgrade process. If the network configuration is erased, run the following command to reconfigure networking: /opt/vmware/share/vami/vami_config_net.
Follow these steps to upgrade to this version of VMware Skyline Collector:
- Open a web browser and enter the URL for the Skyline Collector VAMI: https://
- Log in using the root username and password.
- Click Login.
- Click Update.
- Click Check Updates.
- If an update is available, click Install Updates.
If Check Updates does not return that an Update is available, verify that your Skyline Collector virtual appliance can access vapp-updates.vmware.com over port 443.