The release notes cover the following topics:
- Product Description
- What's New in this Release
- Third-party Software Upgrades
- Platform Support
- Resolved Issues
- Known Issues
VMware Smart Assurance Network Configuration Manager (NCM) is:
- An automated compliance, change and configuration management solution that delivers industry-recognized best practices.
- A collaborative network infrastructure design that controls change processes, provides network device and service configuration transparency, and ensures compliance with corporate and regulatory requirements — to enable you to ensure the security, availability, and operational efficiency of your network.
- An automated support for all facets of the network infrastructure lifecycle, seamlessly integrating critical design, change, and compliance management requirements.
What's New in this Release
- [ER-1093]: NCM API has been enhanced to provide a method, to enable commands of type DEVICE_SERVER_COMMAND which can be executed via Saved Command API.
- [ER-1048]: Following Operator support has been added, on the filtering "Data Field"/“Device Data Field” on Device Display Filter, Job Display Filter and Automation Library Filter:
- begins wiith
- ends with
- regEx not
- [ER-1130]: To export Job-Result from Schedule Manager by NCM user, refer KB article.
- [ER-1106]: In NCM, the length of the console quick filter box on the schedule job view has been enhanced to accommodate up to 50 characters. So that, user can see the saved quick filter names completely in the schedule manager and filter name.
- [ER-788]: Code has been changed to provide multiple roles based operations.
- [VM-ER-78]: Support of AES-256 privacy protocols is added for device discovery and communication.
- [VM-ER-43]: 3rd party components as mentioned in “Third-party Software Upgrades” section have been upgraded.
- [ER-1107]: NCM UI Help “Online User Guide” is changed to pdf document in order support all browsers.
For Security vulnerabilities addressed in NCM, see Network Configuration Manager Security Update for Multiple Vulnerabilities, and security enhancements section in NCM Security Configuration Guide.
Third-party software upgrades are:
- Java is upgraded to OpenJDK 11.0.6.
- With Java 11.0.6 update, NCM is enhanced with NCM UI installer which helps to launch the NCM UI.
- Tomcat is upgraded to 9.0.33.
- Xerces-C is upgraded to 3.2.2.
- Xalan-C is upgraded to 1.11.1.
- Groovy is upgraded to 2.5.6.
- Grails is upgraded to 4.0.0.
- Spring Framework is upgraded to 5.1.9.
- Spring Security is upgraded to 5.1.6.
- Hibernate is upgraded to 5.3.10.
- Ehcache is upgraded to 3.8.0.
- Netbeans is upgraded to RELEASE111.
- OpenSSL is upgraded to 1.1.1g.
- PostgreSQL is upgraded to 11.5.
The VMware Smart Assurance Network Configure Manager Support Matrix available from the VMware Support website provides the latest platform and interoperability information. For detailed information about platform support and interoperability, refer support matrix for your release.
Note: In NCM 10.1.1 release, some of the document(s) do not require modification.The older version document(s) are released as it is.
- SMARTA-560 / SR 19082612211
Database restore failed because of active connections in the DB after vcmaster services stopped.
Resolution: Due to environmental issue, some of the database connections are still active even after stopping vcmaster service.
The code has been modified and introduced two minutes delay to close the active DB connections.
- SMARTA-570 / SR 19084138011
Currently, there is no minimum limit for the NCM users' password.
Resolution: Enforced 15 character password length for NCM users by using GUI and API. The passwordchange.pl script has been modified to change passwords with 15 character length for jmx-user, smc-user, database and msauser.
- SMARTA-448 / SR 19062547409
In the SysAdmin Console HTTP 404 error “The webpage cannot be found” appears, when the Menu options are clicked, or page is refreshed.
Resolution: Due to “details location” being specified as null, because of which it goes the page which doesn’t exist. The code has been modified to update and populate “details location” to the required page.
- SMARTA-761 / SR 20117974404
Minimum of 15-character password length must be enforced for the current NCM User.
Resolution: Enforcement of 15 character password length is implemented for the current NCM users.
- SMARTA-668 / SR 20101087602
Web-Inspect scan reported Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability issues in SysAdmin Console.
Resolution: Hostname and service names validation is implemented to resolve Cross-Site Scripting vulnerability.
- SMARTA-540 / SR 19078047411
Discovery of Cisco devices fails when AES-256 or AES-192 Privacy protocols are used for SNMPv3 credentials.
Resolution: The SNMP++ library has been upgraded to latest version 3.3.11a and added support for AES256W3DESKEYExt and AES192W3DESKEYExt Privacy protocols. In NCM GUI as well, for SNMPv3 credentials, two new Privacy Protocols, AES256W3DESKEYExt and AES192W3DESKEYExt are added which should be selected for Cisco devices SNMPv3 discovery.
- While using API SNMPV3CredentialInfo the following PrivProtocolType values are valid:
19 for AES128
20 for AES192
21 for AES256
23 for AES192W3DESKEYExt
24 for AES256W3DESKEYExt
- Cisco and Non-Cisco devices both use the same PrivProtocol Type for AES128 (19).
- Non-Cisco devices use the PrivProtocol Type AES192 (20) and AES256 (21).
- Cisco devices use the PrivProtocolType AES192W3DESKEYExt (23) and AES256W3DESKEYExt (24).
- SMARTA-561 / SR 19082614311
Device Server Installation fails using Silent-installer.
Resolution: Post Installation correct permissions has been provided to $VOYENCE_HOME directory.
- SMARTA-462 / SR 19063947009
When trying to perform restore of V9.4 Voyence database on system with Voyence V9.6 the restore is not failing, despite the errors during restore process.
Resolution: Return codes are corrected in the restore script.
- SMARTA-378 / SR 19016159507
How to change credentials of sysadmin login in Sysadmin Console?
Resolution: Code has been added to allow only 'smc-user' login and not to allow 'sysadmin' login in SysAdmin console web page.
- SMARTA-483 / SR 19068713910
Compliance Audit returns Duplicate devices, while they do not exist on network.
Resolution: Code has been modified, to return the correct list of devices
- SMARTA-750 / SR 20115755704
Under installation directories java files must not exist.
Resolution: All the java files are removed from the installation area except the public API samples. The .java and .jpp files has been removed from the web server, except for the below sample files.
There are some .java sample files which are present in the below directories. These sample files can be moved to a different location or zipped.
No functionality impact.
- SMARTA-350/SR: 19013879207
STIG related to PostgreSQL
Resolution: The following PostgreSQL STIG issues are resolved in 10.1.1.0 release: V-72909, V-72925, V-72929, V-72939, V-72987, V-73005, V-73015, V-73023, V-73033, V-73037, V-73045, V-73047, V-73061, and V-73123. Refer, NCM Security Configuration Guide for more details.
NCM 10.1.0 application launch is breaking on Google Chrome.
Chrome has deprecated the NPAPI support which causes Java plugins to be disabled.
If you have problems accessing Java applications using Chrome, Oracle recommends using Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Safari instead.
Users that need to run Web Start application may launch that application through a web browser such as Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, or Pale Moon.
The link, https://<ipaddress>:8880/voyence/powerup.jnlp, provides a .jnlp file download you can use to enable the launch of the NCM application.
User is not able to launch NCM MSA on the Firefox version 58 or later.
Use the older version of Firefox (version older than 58), or use Internet Explorer to launch the NCM MSA.
NCM MSA login screen should have a standard login screen with VMware logo.
MSA login page display Grails as the logo, instead of VMWare Network Configuration manager.
Device Server health check log has some warnings.
When UI is launched with the new UI Linux client, Schedule Manager sorting is not happening properly.
Workaround: User can use filters to check the details of required job.
Not able to launch SysAdmin console webpage, post upgrade to 10.1.1.0.
Workaround: Follow the procedure to reinstall SysAdmin console:
- Run the rm -rf $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/SysAdmin.war $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/SysAdmin.
- Run the service tomcat stop.
- Run the perl script $VOYENCE_HOME/tools/install_sysadmin.pl to install SysAdmin console.
- Launch the sysadmin console from URL: http://<AS_SERVER_IP>:8080/SysAdmin