VMware Integrated OpenStack (VIO) is a VMware supported OpenStack distribution that makes it easy for IT to run and manage an enterprise-grade OpenStack cloud on top of VMware Infrastructure. The VMware Integrated OpenStack architecture connects various virtual resources to the OpenStack Nova, Neutron, Cinder, Identity and Horizon services.
Nova: OpenStack Nova service interacts with the VMwareVCDriver (compute driver) to connect OpenStack Compute with vCenter. This driver enables Nova to communicate with a VMware vCenter server managing one or more clusters of ESXi hosts. The nova-compute service communicates, through the vCenter APIs, to a vCenter Server, which handles management of one or more ESXi clusters. The nova-compute service runs on a Linux server (OpenStack compute node) which acts as a proxy that uses the VMwareVCDriver to translate nova API calls to vCenter API calls and relates them to a vCenter server for processing. Hence, when a Nova API call is made to create a VM, Nova compute schedules where the VM is created. If the VM is to be created on a vSphere cluster, Nova compute hands that request off to the vCenter server which then schedules where in the cluster the VM will be created.
Neutron: OpenStack Neutron service interacts with the NSX Manager via a plugin for better network management and automating the network components.
- High Availability Mode
- Compact Mode
- Tiny Mode
The Server Manager provides VMware hypervisor management support for the following:
- VMWare Integreated OpenStack compute support (using NOVA API).
VMware hypervisor and virtual machine discovery via VMWare Integreated OpenStack.
- VMWare hypervisor and virtual machine monitoring.
- Monitor hypervisor status.
- Monitor virtual machine status.
- VM addition and deletion.
- Tracks virtual machine mobility (VM migration).
- VMware Integreated OpenStack block storage support (using CINDER API).
- Logical volume discovery and monitoring via OpenStack.
- VMware Integreated OpenStack network support (using Neutron API).
- Virtual interface discovery and monitoring via OpenStack
- vRouter discovery and monitoring via VMWare Integreated OpenStack.
- VMware Integreated OpenStack service discovery and monitoring.
- Root-cause and impact analysis.
Additional prerequisites are necessary to use the VIO management feature. Review and fulfill them as described in Prerequisites for the VIO management.