You can upgrade the existing Kubernetes version to the latest versions of Kubernetes supported in the current version of the VMware Telco Cloud Automation.
You can upgrade the Kubernetes cluster through VMware Telco Cloud Automation.
The following table lists the Kubernetes upgrade compatibility for the Management cluster.
|Existing Kubernetes Versions||1.20.5|
The following table lists the Kubernetes upgrade compatibility for the Workload cluster.
|Existing Kubernetes Versions||1.18.17||1.19.9||1.20.5|
Before upgrading Kubernetes to the latest version, consider the following constraints and prepare for the upgrade plan:
- Ensure that all management clusters and Workload clusters nodes are up and reachable through TCA-CP.
Note: You can run
kubectl get nodeson each Management cluster and Workload cluster. The result shows the IP address each node under Management and Workload cluster.
- VMware Telco Cloud Automation preserves the customization performed through previous CNF instantiate / upgrade on the nodepools of the cluster. Any manual changes performed directly on the nodes are not preserved.
- Applications may face downtime during kubernetes upgrade and may take some time to be available for operations.
- Clusters may take some time to be available for operations.
- Check and upgrade the required node pools in the Workload cluster.
- The IP address of master nodes and the worker nodes changes after upgrade.
- All the customization added to the cluster through VMware Telco Cloud Automation are applied after upgrade.
- If the upgrade fails, you can correct the configuration and perform the upgrade again.