The objective of a full restore is to restore all the VMs, which are backed up completely. Full restores are done as per IT admin policy of the organization.
Most restore tools provide a menu of backed up repositories to the admin and permit the ability to restore. These repositories are sorted by backup-name, backup-date, and time.
- During restore ensure that, you can connect to the VC which controls the VMware Telco Cloud Operations VMs. And, your tool can connect to all the VMware Telco Cloud Operations virtual machines.
- For an in-place restore, make sure that all the VMs are shut down. Veeam tool detects the virtual machines which are already restored and are shut down. And also, shut down the virtual machines before starting the restore.
Note: Based on the IT policy of the organization, you can restore on a staging VMware Telco Cloud Operations setup. Test that out first and then switch the production operations to use the staged and tested setup. You can also restore directly.
- Once, the restore is done, ensure that normal operations continue.
- Ensure that the statistics displayed in the UI dashboard are now cumulative. Besides being displayed correctly, post-restore, they are also shown correctly until the point the VMs are shut down. Before starting the restore, ensures that no data is lost.
Example of an in-place all-VM restore, using Veeam tool:
- Select, Restore in the Veeam tool.
- Select, Entire VM restore.
- Select, restore VMs from the <file name of backup job>.
- Select Restore mode, as Restore to the original location.
- Select Secure restore as Did not scan.
Note: You can select an option for a malware scan.
- To start the restore, shut down all the VMs.
Displays Full VM Restore and progress, and successful completion are monitored on the Veeam dashboard.
- Once Restore finished, do the following:
- Start VMs one by one, primary first and then workers.
- Connect to UI.
- Notifications summary must match, as before.
- Ensure that you are able to log in, that means zookeeper database restored properly.
- Ensure that you have your old data in the UI, which was created and stored in elastic before taking a backup, that means the elastic search also restored properly.