VMware Telco Cloud Platform RANTM | 8 APR 2021
NOTE: This Release Notes does not provide the terms applicable to your license. Consult the VMware Product Guide and VMware End User License Agreement for the license metrics and other license terms applicable to your use of VMware Telco Cloud Platform RAN.
Check for additions and updates to these release notes.
What's in the Release NotesThe release notes cover the following topics:
- Overview of VMware Telco Cloud Platform RAN
- Features of Telco Cloud Platform RAN
- Components of Telco Cloud Platform RAN
- Validated Patches
- Release Notes Change Log
- Support Resources
- Known Issues
Overview of VMware Telco Cloud Platform RAN
VMware Telco Cloud Platform RAN™ is a cloud-native RAN solution that is designed specifically for running RAN functions. It provides the RAN modernization path, evolving from legacy Radio Access Network (RAN) to virtualized RAN (vRAN) to OpenRAN. It transforms the RAN into a 5G multi-services hub “mini cloud”, enabling Communication Services Providers (CSPs) to monetize their RAN investments. VMware Telco Cloud Platform RAN is designed to meet the performance and latency requirements inherent to RAN workloads.
- Enables CSPs to run virtualized Baseband functions that include virtualized Distributed Units (vDUs) and virtualized Central Units (vCUs).
- Simplifies CSPs’ operations consistently across distributed vRAN sites with centralized cloud-first automation, while reducing the Operating Expense (OpEx).
- Provides operational consistency by removing business uncertainties and reduces ballooning costs associated with 5G deployment.
- Enables CSPs to accelerate innovation speed, deploy 5G services fast, and scale the services as customers’ demands increase.
VMware Telco Cloud Platform RAN is powered by field-proven virtualization, carrier-grade Container-as-a-Service (CaaS), and multi-layer automation that are consistent with its 5G core and edge offerings. This end-to-end consistency achieved by the coherent underpinning platform across 5G networks enables CSPs to provision 5G services customized for different enterprise and consumer markets while providing unparalleled operational efficiency.
Optimization for RAN Workloads
- Real-time optimization of vSphere ESXi to meet the PTP accuracy and latency requirements of virtualized Baseband functions that include vDUs and vCUs.
- Real-time optimization of Photon OS Tanzu Worker Node with the following plugins: BIOS CNF, CPU Mgr, NUMA Topo Mg, Calico, Antrea, Multus, MACVLAN, DPDK modules, and SRIOV plugin.
- FlexRAN optimization for enhanced dimensioning. Ensures that the maximum compute resources are available to RAN workloads by keeping the resources required for VMware components to a minimum.
Infrastructure Automation and Orchestration
- Support for virtual Infrastructure configuration and distributed Kubernetes deployment from centralized management tooling.
- Ability to use templates and standardize the deployment of regional Data Centers and single ESXi host Far Edge (Cell Site) locations.
- Support for Distributed RAN (D-RAN) and Centralized RAN (C-RAN) deployments.
- Automated discovery, registration, and creation of Kubernetes clusters.
- Continuous synchronization between the CaaS layer and VMware Telco Cloud Automation.
- Automated and on-demand “late binding” configuration optimization to the platform when the partner RAN workloads are deployed. The supported late binding configurations are CPU/memory pinning with NUMA alignment and PCI passthrough.
- VMware ESXi 7.0 U2. See the ESXi 7.0 U2 Release Notes.
- VMware Telco Cloud Automation 1.9. See the Telco Cloud Automation 1.9 Release Notes.
- VMware Tanzu Basic for RAN. See the Tanzu Kubernetes Grid 1.3 Release Notes.
Mandatory Add-On Components
Note: Additional license is required.
- VMware vCenter Server 7.0 U2. See the vCenter Server 7.0 U2 Release Notes.
- New VMware ESXi 7.0 Update 2d. See the VMware ESXi 7.0 Update 2d Release Notes.
- New VMware vCenter Server 7.0 Update 2d. See the VMware vCenter Server 7.0 Update 2d Release Notes.
|04 OCT 2021||
Added the following to the Validated Patches section:
|21 JUN 2021||
Replaced 'VMware Tanzu Kubernetes Grid 1.3' with 'VMware Tanzu Basic for RAN' in the Components section.
For additional support resources, see the VMware Telco Cloud Platform RAN documentation page.
- Registering Multiple Harbors with a Single VIM is Not Supported
VMware Telco Cloud Automation does not support registering multiple Harbor repositories with a single Virtual Infrastructure Manager (VIM).
- vRLI Not Overridden After Disabling it
When you make a GET call after disabling vRealize Log Insight (vRLI), the default setting of vRLI is shown instead of disabled. vRLI is not overridden.
- IOMMU Faults Might Occur in Columbiaville NICs When Using vfio-pci for Binding to DPDK Devices
When you use vfio-pci for binding to DPDK devices, IOMMU faults might occur in Columbiaville NICs in the long run. IOMMU faults might be received by a Worker node.
Workaround: Use igb_uio instead of vfio-pci.