The installation software is designed to preserve your changes to user-modifiable files when installing new versions of these files. Existing changes to user-modifiable files are always automatically merged. All files are merged by default.
The installation software also creates a backup of all the versions of the user-modifiable files to ensure that you will not lose any configuration data.
Review the Results of the Reconciliation Process
The results of the reconciliation analysis performed during the installation and all actions taken are included in the merged files log located in /smarts/setup/logs. The name of the log file is: install.merge.<patch version>.log.
- Using any editor, open and review the log:
- Review the log:
- Resolve conflicts in files manually. For more information, see Resolve Issues in Conflict File section.
- During the installation, the entries that indicate file merges without conflicts that resulted in automerge files.
Resolve Issues in Conflict File
- One is the conflict file. For example, <filename>
- Another file is .bak.001. For example, <filename>.bak.001
- Open the user-modifiable file where the conflict occurs using
For example, the conflict file for esm.param.conf is named esm-param.conf.
- Rename the <filename>.bak.001 file to the original file name <filename> by removing .bak.001 extension.
For example, if the patch file name is esm-param.conf.bak.001, rename it to the esmparam.conf to use the original file.
- Save and close the file.
Note: All the user-modifiable unmerged files before patch installation, are backed up in //smarts location. By default, the backup directory is hidden.