ThinApp 5.0.1 | 13 May 2014 | Build 1801916
Last Document Update: 13 May 2014
The ThinApp 5.0.1 has the following new enhancements,
- The welcome page of ThinApp Setup Capture now has a link to a KB article, which provides guidelines on how to virtualize applications using ThinApp.
- The two ChildProcessEnvironment parameters which are now present by default in Package.ini file are:
- Package.ini parameters are now case insensitive.
For additional information about ThinApp 5.0.1, visit the following Web sites:
VMware ThinApp supports the following operating systems for running virtualized 64-bit applications
- Windows 7 64-bit
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows 8 64-bit
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows 8.1 64-bit
- Windows Server 2012 R2
VMware ThinApp does not support the following operating systems for running virtualized 64-bit applications
- Windows XP 64-bit
- Windows Server 2003 64-bit
- Windows Vista 64-bit
- Windows Server 2008 64-bit
NOTE:The operating system platforms listed under 64-bit application exclusion list are supported for 32 bit applications.
Features from prior releases of VMware ThinApp are described in the release notes for each release. To view release notes for prior releases, click one of the following links:
The ThinApp 5.0.1 release resolves the following issues:
Autodesk AutoCAD 2014 displays error 80004005 on launch
When you start virtual version of Autodesk AutoCAD 2014, the application exits with an error message similar to the following
CLR Error 80004005.
Resolution: Increase in the limit on DLL loading, improves the support for applications that load large number of DLLs.
Microsoft Office 2010 fails to install virtualized Japanese Microsoft Office 2010 MSI on Japanese Windows Server 2003 R2 32-bit, German Windows Server 2003 R2 32-bit and Windows Server 2008 operating systems
When you attempt to install virtualized Japanese Microsoft Office 2010, the installation fails on Japanese Windows Server 2003 R2 32-bit and German Windows Server 2003 R2 32-bit operating systems.
Resolution: Internationalization support has been improved further.
ThinDirect feature might not work if you capture Internet Explorer 10 with Include an entry point for the system installed IE option
If you capture Internet Explorer 10 through the Setup Capture using the Include an entry point for the system installed IE option, the ThinDirect feature might not work,
Resolution: Fixed an issue where the memory section of the Internet Explorer 10 frame process to a sandbox was not being properly isolated.
Incorrect service names are displayed on virtual command prompt
When you run the net start on a virtual command prompt, the services are displayed with path name instead of service name, which is DLL name and resource ID. This is incorrect.
Resolution: Executing services.msc now lists running services by their name.
Microsoft Office 2010 applications fail if you open or save a file on Windows 8 64-bit operating system
When you open or save a file on a Windows 8 x64, the virtual version of Microsoft Office 2010 might stop responding.
Resolution: An incorrect call to free an already allocated memory was fixed.
Microsoft Office 2010 64-bit package is installed on Windows7 32-bit View Agent desktop
The virtual version of 64-bit Microsoft Office 2010 package can be installed on Windows 7 32-bit View Agent desktop which is incorrect.
Resolution: We now check the bitness of the package and deployed operating system.
AutoCAD 2009 LT freezes with unable to load scree.dll message
Virtualized AutoCAD LT 2009 fails to start with an unable to load scree.dll error message.
Resolution: A flaw in loading 32-bit resource DLL from a 64-bit process was fixed.
SolidWorks eDrawings 2013 x64 Edition might not start on Windows 7 x64
Virtualized SolidWorks eDrawings 2013 x64 Edition fails to start on Windows 7 64-bit operating system. The SolidWorks 64-bit application is dependent on the Visual C++ 2005 SP1 (64 Bit) runtime, which is one of the prerequisites for using this application.
Resolution: For more information see KB article 2070004
Microsoft Office is fails to insert OLE objects that are not office components
The virtual version of Microsoft Office (2003, 2007, 2010 and 2013) fails to insert OLE components like Bitmap image or WordPad document. This issue is observed on Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 operating systems.
Resolution: Improved COM support on Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 solves this issue.
Internet Explorer 7 and Internet Explorer 10 might not start on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 operating systems.
The virtual version of Internet Explorer 7 and Internet Explorer 10 fail to start on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 operating systems. On Windows 8.1, 32-bit system Internet Explorer 10 freezes on launch and on Windows 8.1, 64 bit system Internet Explorer 10 exits silently after launch.
Resolution: ThinApp now loads the KernelBase and Kernel32.dll from the runtime machine.
Firefox displays a termination exception after playing a Flash clip
If you start the virtual Firefox browser and play a flash clip, the browser stops with a Windows error message.
Resolution: This is a Firefox issue, which has been fixed in the Firefox codebase. Please use the latest version of Firefox.
Virtual registry might not read the value that contains both non-ASCII characters and # or % symbol
Virtual registry might not read a value that contains both the ASCII characters and # or % symbols. When non English Unicode characters are part of macro string, the string comparison of macros was incorrect.
Resolution: Fixed a bug in ThinApp Macro strings expansion.
ThinDirect plug-in might cause a native Internet Explorer 8 to stop responding
When you use the ThinDirect plug-in the native Internet Explorer 8 might stop responding.
Resolution: For more information see KB article 2073845.
Unable to download any files with virtual Internet Explorer 10
Using a Virtual Internet Explorer 10, when native Internet Explorer 10 is not installed, if you click on download link, the Save as dialog box might not appear and the file download might not happen.
Resolution: Improved support for packages which use COM surrogacy. Virtual COM surrogacy is now supported through TASurrogate.exe/TASurrogate64.exe, which are new additions to this release.
The following known issues are known to occur in the ThinApp 5.0.1 release:
- Microsoft Project 2010 and Microsoft Visio 2010 cause an MSI installer and licensing error on deployment systems with Microsoft Office 2010 natively installed.
For more information see KB article 2077860.
The virtual version of Internet Explorer 6.0 fails to open some specific URLs.
Workaround: Add the following parameter in Package.ini build options
The virtual version of Microsoft Outlook 2010 32-bit captured on Windows 7 64-bit fails to start on Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012, 64-bit operating systems.
For more information see KB article 2063264.
- When you use virtual Internet Explorer 10 in low or medium integrity to download files and later close it, you may find orphaned Internet Explorer(iexplore.exe) processes still running after the application has been closed. �These processes will be re-used if application is re-opened, this issue will be fixed in a future release.
If the protected view is enabled in Microsoft Excel 2013, then the virtual version of Microsoft Excel 2013 fails to open a file from the network path.
Workaround: Disable protected view from File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Protected View > Enable Protected View for files located in potentially unsafe locations.
- Microsoft Visio 2010 help files are not displayed on all 64-bit operating systems.
- When you start virtual version of Microsoft Office 2013 (32-bit or 64-bit) on Windows 8, or Windows 8.1 operating system, the application exits with an error message. For more information, see KB article 2062691
- In a virtualized Microsoft Office 2013 package, if you attempt to launch the help file with the F1 key , the application displays an Installer 1719 error message. This issue is observed on Windows 7, 64-bit operating system.
- Virtualized Internet Explorer 10 (32-bit) does not work on Windows 8.1 operating systems (32-bit and 64-bit).
If the user provides an AppLink path to all the files using Regular expressions, for example RequiredApplinks=c:\Flash\bin\*;
the AppLink feature will fail if there are files present in the bin directory other than PDC.
Workaround: AppLink will display an incompatibility error when any file other than an application PDC is linked with the application.
For a successful AppLink, please mention the absolute path of the application PDC as: RequiredApplinks=c:\Flash\bin\FlashPDC.dat
When capturing 64-bit Internet Explorer 9 on Windows 7, the ThinDirect feature does not work.
- On a clean machine run Setup Capture and do a prescan.
- Install 64-bit Internet Explorer 9 and do a postscan.
- At the Setup Capture - Entry Points screen, ensure that Internet Explorer (64-bit).exe is checked.
- At the Setup Capture - Native Browser Redirection screen, do not add any URLs.
- Save the project.
- At the Setup Capture - Ready to Build screen, check Skip the build process and click Next > Finish.
- Create the text file ThinDirect.txt in the project directory.
- Ensure that the first line reads [Internet Explorer (64-bit).exe].
- On each line below, add a URL you want redirected by ThinDirect.
- Save ThinDirect.txt and double-click build.bat to build the package.
- In ThinApp 5.0.1, the Package.ini parameter AllowUnsupportedExternalChildProcesses is not working.
- In ThinApp 5.0.1, the Package.ini parameter HidePrinters is not working.
When you start virtual version of AutoCAD on Windows 7 64 bit operating system, the following error message is displayed:
PresentationFontCache.exe - Application Error
ThinApp package of 32-bit Dragon Software works on 32-bit operating system but fails on 64-bit operating system. For more information see KB article 2092030.
- If you attempt to start two instances of virtual Microsoft Word 2013 or Microsoft PowerPoint 2013, the application becomes unresponsive.
- Horizon Workspace 1.5 does not have the support necessary for reading metadata from 64 bit ThinApp binaries and is thus incompatible with ThinApp 5.0 packages. The Horizon Workspace vNext would support ThinApp 5.0 packages.
ThinApp fails to rebuild the project on a Windows 7, x86 English operating system, if you change the Outdir parameter in package.ini and replace it with any of the following language characters
- Simplified Chinese
- Traditional Chinese
- Issues with ThinApp 5.x and Microsoft Office 2010, see KB article 2062694.
- Issues with ThinApp 5.x and Microsoft Office 2013, see KB article 2062691.
For more information about known issues with ThinApp packages, see the VMware Knowledge Base.