Updated on: 26 APR 2018
VMware Tools | 26 APR 2018 | Build 8267844
Check for additions and updates to these release notes.
What's in the Release NotesThe release notes cover the following topics:
- What's New
- Earlier Releases of VMware Tools
- Before You Begin
- Compatibility Notes
- Installation and Upgrades for This Release
- Resolved Issues
- VMware Tools 10.2.1 supports the guest operating systems below:
- windows.iso supports Windows Vista and later.
- linux.iso supports Linux guest operating systems Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5 and later, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 11 and later, Ubuntu 10.04 and later. It also supports other distributions with glibc versions 2.5 and later.
- darwin.iso supports Mac OS X versions 10.11 and later.
- solaris.iso supports Solaris versions.
- Resolved Issues: This release of VMware Tools disables VMware CAF Management Agent service by default. For more details, see the Resolved Issues section of this release notes.
Earlier Releases of VMware Tools
- For earlier releases of VMware Tools, see the VMware Tools Documentation page.
Before You Begin
VMware Tools ISO images for a few end of life guest operating systems are frozen. Some ISO images are not shipped with ESXi in the tools-light VIB. For more details, see the VMware Tools Documentation page. All VMware Tools ISO images are available for download from http://my.vmware.com.
VMware Tools for Windows is available for download in 32-bit and 64-bit installer executable (.exe) files. These files are provided for easier access and installation of VMware Tools in Windows guest operating systems.
Important note about upgrading to ESXi 5.5 Update 3b or later
For the resolution on incompatibility and general guidelines, while upgrading ESXi hosts to ESXi 5.5 Update 3b or ESXi 6.0 Update 1 or later, using older versions of Horizon View Agent, refer to the knowledge base articles:
- Connecting to View desktops with Horizon View Agent 5.3.5 or earlier hosted on ESXi 5.5 Update 3b or later fails with a black screen.
- Connecting to View desktops with Horizon View agent 6.0.x or 6.1.x hosted on ESXi 5.5 Update 3b or later fails with a black screen.
- Connecting to View desktops with Horizon View Agent 6.1.x hosted on ESXi 6.0 Update 1 or later fails with a black screen.
VMware Tools 10.2.1 is available in the following languages:
- Simplified Chinese
- Traditional Chinese
- VMware Tools 10.2.1 is compatible with supported versions of VMware vSphere ESXi 5.5 and later, VMware Workstation 14.0 and VMware Fusion 10.0. See VMware Compatibility Guide for more information.
- The option to clobber Linux kernel modules that are included with the operating system using VMware Tools installer has been removed and no longer supported.
- Starting with VMware Tools version 10.2.0, Perl script-based VMware Tools installation for FreeBSD has been discontinued. FreeBSD systems are supported only through the open-vm-tools packages directly available from FreeBSD package repositories. FreeBSD packages for open-vm-tools 10.1.0 and later are available from FreeBSD package repositories.
Guest Operating System Customization Support
The Guest OS Customization Support Matrix provides details about the guest operating systems supported for customization.
Installation and Upgrades for this release
VMware Tools can be downloaded from the Product Download page.
VMware Tools Operating System Specific Packages can be downloaded from http://packages.vmware.com/tools/releases/index.html. For more information on installing OSPs, see the VMware Tools Installation Guide for Operating System Specific Packages for ESX/ESXi version 4.1 and earlier, ESXi versions 5.x and 6.x.
The steps to install VMware Tools vary depending on your VMware product and the guest operating system you have installed. For general steps to install VMware Tools in most VMware products, see General VMware Tools installation instructions (1014294).To set up productLocker to point to the shared datastore, see KB 2004018.
For specific instructions to install, upgrade, and configure VMware Tools, see the VMware Tools Documentation page.
Windows guest Drivers Installed by VMware Tools
The following driver versions are supported by VMware Tools 10.2.1 on a Windows Guest Operating System.
|Drivers||VMware Tools 10.2.1|
|efifw||126.96.36.199 (Windows 8 and later)|
- Network ports might get exhausted on a guest VM while using VMware Tools 10.2.0
Guest VM ports might get exhausted after a few days while using VMware Tools 10.2.0. It results in a network connection failure.
This issue is resolved in this release by disabling VMware CAF Management Agent service (ManagementAgentHost.exe) by default. Do not enable VMware CAF Management Agent service manually. For more details, see KB 54459.