Set log retention to one week and archive logs for 90 days according to the VMware Validated Design Architecture and Design documentation.
Create an NFS share of 1 TB in Region and export it as /V2D_vRLI_MgmtA_1TB.
Verify that the NFS server supports NFS v3.
Verify that the NFS partition allows read and write operations for guest accounts.
Verify that the mount does not require authentication.
Verify that the NFS share is directly accessible to vRealize Log Insight
If using a Windows NFS server, allow unmapped user Unix access (by UID/GID).
- Log in to the vRealize Log Insight user interface.
- Open a Web browser and go to https://vrli-cluster-01.sfo01.rainpole.local.
- Log in using the following credentials.
- In the vRealize Log Insight user interface, click the configuration drop-down menu icon and select Administration.
- Configure retention threshold notification.
Log Insight continually estimates how long data can be retained with the currently available pool of storage.
If the estimation drops below the retention threshold of one week, Log Insight immediately notifies the administrator that the amount of searchable log data is likely to drop.
- Under Configuration, click General.
- On the General Configuration page, under the Alerts section, select the Send a notification when capacity drops below check box next to Retention Notification Threshold, and enter a 1-week period in the text box.
- Click Save.
- Configure data archiving.
- Under Configuration, click Archiving.
- Select the Enable Data Archiving check box.
- In the Archive Location text box, enter the path in the form of nfs://nfs-server-address/V2D_vRLI_MgmtA_1TB to an NFS partition where logs will be archived.
- Click Test next to the Archive Location text box to verify that the share is accessible.
- Click Save.