By default UMDS downloads patch binaries, patch metadata, and notifications for hosts. Disable the download of patches for all ESXi versions but the version that is used in this validated design.
- Log in to the UMDS virtual machine by using a Secure Shell (SSH) client.
- Open an SSH connection to lax01umds01.lax01.rainpole.local.
- Log in using the following credentials.
Setting Value User name svc-umds Password svc-umds_password
- Navigate to the directory where UMDS is installed.
- Disable the updates for older hosts and virtual appliances.
sudo ./vmware-umds -S -n sudo ./vmware-umds -S -d embeddedEsx-5.5.0 sudo ./vmware-umds -S -d embeddedEsx-6.0.0
- Configure automatic daily downloads by creating a cron job file.
cd /etc/cron.daily/ sudo touch umds-download sudo chmod 755 umds-download
- Edit the download command of the cron job.
sudo vi umds-download
- Add the following lines to the file.
#!/bin/sh /usr/local/vmware-umds/bin/vmware-umds -D sudo chmod -R 755 /var/lib/vmware-umds
- Test the UMDS Download cron job.