Data protection solutions provide the following functions in the SDDC:
- Backup and restore virtual machines.
- Organization of virtual machines into groups by VMware product.
- Store data according to company retention policies.
- Inform administrators about backup and restore activities through reports.
- Schedule regular backups during non-peak periods.
VADP instances provide data protection for the products that implement the management capabilities of the SDDC.
Consolidated Data Protection Deployment
Because of its scope, VMware Validated Design for Workload and Management Consolidation supports the deployment of a VADP-compatible backup solution in the consolidated cluster.
To provide recovery of SDDC management components, you configure backup jobs. The VADP-compatible backup solution stores the backups of the management virtual appliances on a secondary storage according to a defined schedule.