After you upgrade the NSX Manager instances in Region A and Region B, upgrade the NSX Controller instances for the management cluster and the shared edge and compute cluster. You upgrade the NSX Controllers clusters immediately after the upgrade the of the primary and secondary NSX Manager instances to keep their versions aligned.
You can use the Upgrade Coordinator functionality to orchestrate the upgrade of the NSX components in the environment. You can select individual components, or group multiple components together and adjust the number of components to be upgraded according to the duration of the maintenance window. For this validated design, you upgrade each component one-by-one to maintain control.
After you complete the upgrade of the primary and secondary NSX Manager instances, you start the upgrade of the NSX Controller cluster. You upgrade the NSX Controller instances for the management cluster first. You then upgrade the NSX Controller instances for the shared edge and compute cluster. You can perform these operations in the same or separate maintenance windows, but you must perform the upgrade immediately after the upgrade of the primary and secondary NSX Manager instances per cluster.
|Order||Region||NSX Manager||NSX Manager IP Address||NSX Controller IP Address|
|1||Region A||Primary NSX Manager for the management cluster||172.16.11.65||172.16.11.118|
|2||Region A||Primary NSX Manager for the shared edge and compute cluster||172.16.11.66||172.16.31.118|
- Log in to vCenter Server by using the vSphere Web Client.
- Open a Web browser and go to https://sfo01m01vc01.sfo01.rainpole.local/vsphere-client/.
- Log in by using the following credentials.
Setting Value User name email@example.com Password vsphere_admin_password
- From the Home menu of the vSphere Web Client, select Networking and Security.
- In the Navigator pane, under Networking and Security, click Installation and Upgrade.
- Click the Upgrade tab, from the NSX Manager drop-down menu, select the 172.16.11.65 | Primary NSX Manager instance, and click Plan Upgrade.
- On the Select Upgrade Plan page of the Upgrade Components wizard, select Plan Your Upgrade and click Next.
- On the Plan Content page, configure the following settings and click Next.
Universal Logical Routers
Define Pause Upgrade Options
Pause between components
Pause on error
- On the Review Plan page, verify that Pause between components and Pause on error are set to Yes, and click Start Upgrade.
- Monitor the progress of the upgrade of the NSX Controller nodes.
Click View Details. The Planned Controllers Upgrade Details dialog box shows the overall progress of the controller upgrade.
Click NSX Controller Nodes and monitor the progress.
The Upgrade Status column shows the following stages for each NSX Controller:
Download upgrade complete
The Status column shows the following stages for each NSX Controller:Note:
Each NSX Controller might be in a different state.
Controller Upgrade Stage
Not Started Downloading Upgrade Downloading Upgrade Completed Upgrading
- After the upgrade is completed for each NSX Controller node, to confirm that all controllers are connected to the NSX Manager, on the Management tab, and in the NSX Controller nodes section, verify that the upgraded NSX Controller has the following configuration.
- After the upgrade is complete for all NSX Controllers, on the Upgrade tab, click Resume.
- After the upgrade of the NSX Controller cluster for the management cluster is completed, repeat the procedure on the NSX Controller cluster for the shared edge and compute cluster in Region A.