Setting up a Windows desktop virtual machine requires installing components such as VMware Horizon View Desktop agent, View Planner agent, and test applications.
- Create a base Windows 10 / 7 VM.
- Shut down the VM.
- Open the .vmx file of the VM and add the monitor_control.pseudo_perfctr = "1" entry to the file .
This entry provides access of the host timer, which is more accurate than the VM timer.
- Install all required software for the test, such as Vmware Horizon View Agent, Microsoft Office, Adobe PDF reader, and Chrome.
- Disable auto lock, auto sleep and screen saver.
- Install View Planner agent on the VM using viewplanner-agent-version.msi.
- Enter the harness IP when prompted.
The view planner agent process must have access to read and write registry without windows UAC prompts. Disable windows UAC, if necessary.
- If this is an RDSH server, set RDSH_SERVER_MODE to 1 and AUTOLOGIN_USER_ACCOUNT to windows user name that is configured for auto login in C:\viewplanner\config\agent.config.
- If you are using Microsoft Edge, install the driver using the steps in Setting Up Microsoft Edge Driver.
- Shut down the VM and take a snapshot.
- Create a desktop Sysprep / QuickPrep customization script using vCenter Server.
This script is used while creating clones from golden desktop VM. The customization script must enable auto-login using an admin account. For remote mode test, configure customization script to join Microsoft active directory domain.