To deploy the connector, you install the connector virtual appliance in vCenter Server using the vSphere Client or vSphere Web Client, power it on, and activate it using the activation code that you generated in your VMware Identity Manager tenant.
- Download the connector OVA file from the VMware Identity Manager product page on my.vmware.com.
- Ensure you have vSphere Client or vSphere Web Client.
- If using the vSphere Web Client, use either Firefox or Chrome browsers. Do not use Internet Explorer to deploy the OVA file.
- Identify the DNS records and host name to use for your appliance.
- In the vSphere Client or the vSphere Web Client, select .
- Follow the wizard to deploy the template.
Page Description Source Browse to the OVA package location, or enter a specific URL. OVA Template Details Verify that you selected the correct version. License Read the End User License Agreement and click Accept. Name and Location Enter a name for the virtual appliance. The name must be unique within the inventory folder and can contain up to 80 characters. Names are case sensitive.
Select a location for the virtual appliance.
Host / Cluster Select the host or cluster to run the deployed template. Resource Pool Select the resource pool. Storage Select the location to store the virtual machine files. Disk Format Select the disk format for the files. For production environments, select a Thick Provision format. Use the Thin Provision format for evaluation and testing. Network Mapping Map the networks in your environment to the networks in the OVF template. Properties
- In the Timezone setting field, select the correct time zone.
- The Customer Experience Improvement Program checkbox is selected by default. VMware collects anonymous data about your deployment in order to improve VMware's response to user requirements. Deselect the checkbox if you do not want the data collected.
- In the Host Name text box, enter the host name to use. If this is blank, reverse DNS is used to look up the host name.
- To configure the static IP address for connector, enter the address for each of the following: Default Gateway, DNS, IP Address, and Netmask.
Important: If any of the four address fields, including Host Name, are left blank, DHCP is used.
To configure DHCP, leave the address fields blank.
Ready to Complete Review your selections and click Finish.Depending on your network speed, the deployment can take several minutes. You can view the progress in the progress dialog box.
- When the deployment is complete, select the appliance, right-click, and select
. The appliance is initialized. You can go to the Console tab to see the details. When the virtual appliance initialization is complete, the console screen displays the version and URLs to log in to the Setup wizard.
- To run the Setup wizard, point your browser to the connector URL displayed in the Console tab.
- On the Welcome Page, click Continue.
- Create strong passwords for the following connector virtual appliance administrator accounts.
Strong passwords should be at least eight characters long and include uppercase and lowercase characters and at least one digit or special character.
Option Description Appliance Administrator Create the appliance administrator password. The user name is admin and cannot be changed. You use this account and password to log into the connector services to manage certificates, appliance passwords and syslog configuration.Important: The admin user password must be at least 6 characters in length. Root Account A default VMware root password was used to install the connector appliance. Create a new root password. sshuser Account Create the password to use for remote access to the connector appliance.
- Click Continue.
- On the Activate Connector page, paste the activation code and click Continue.
The activation code is verified and the communication between the tenant and your connector instance is established.
The connector setup is complete.
What to do next
Click the link on the Setup is Complete page to go to the tenant administration console. Log in with the temporary administrator user name and password you received for your tenant. Then set up the directory connection.