After configuring the VMware Tunnel in the Workspace ONE UEM console and downloading the VMware Unified Access Gateway OVA file, use VMware vSphere to install the Unified Access Gateway onto your server. The Unified Access Gateway simplifies installation of the VMware Tunnel.
VMware Tunnel Unified Access Gateway deployment does not support the VMware vSphere desktop client. You must use the VMware vSphere web client or the PowerShell deployment method.
Dedicated vSphere Admin Account with full privileges to deploy OVF
Communication between the Windows machine used to deploy the OVA and your vSphere instance
vSphere ESX host with a vCenter Server.
Determine the number of network interfaces and static IP addresses to configure for the Unified Access Gateway appliance.
- Log in to the vSphere Web client.
- Navigate to VMs and Templates.
- Select the folder where you want to deploy the Unified Access Gateway OVA file. Right-click the file and select Deploy OVF Template.
- Select the OVA file on your local machine or enter the URL for the OVA file. Click Next.
- Review the template details and select Next.
- Enter a unique Name for the deployment, and then select the folder or data center to hold the OVA file and select Next.
- Select the number of Network Interface Controllers (NICs) you want to associate with the appliance for your deployment configuration. Click Next.
For more information, see the Unified Access Gateway Documentation Center at Unified Access Gateway Documentation.
- On the Select a Resource screen, select a location to run the template.
- Select the storage and disk format options. When finished, select Next.
Virtual Disk Format
For evaluation and testing, select the Thin Provision format.
For production environments, select one of the Thick Provision formats
VM Storage Policy
The values in this text box are defined by your vSphere administrator.
- Configure the Network Mapping settings. Enter the vSphere network names. The network protocol profiles associated with every referenced network name determine the DNS servers, gateway, and subnet mask. If it is absent, you must enter the values in the next step. When finished, select Next.
- Configure the Properties settings.
These settings include the Network Properties and the Password Options.
- Customize the Network Properties as they relate to your VMware Tunnel network configuration.
- Configure the password for the root user of the VM.
- Configure the password for the REST API access.
The REST API password is the password for the admin UI. You must follow the password requirements:
The password must be 8 characters long.
The password must contain at least one special character which includes !@#$*() .
The password must contain at least one lowercase character.
The password must contain at least one uppercase character.
If you do not properly follow the password requirements, installation fails without explanation. There is no validation at the end of this deployment. If you mistakenly enter in the wrong password, there is no warning informing you of an incorrect password.
- When finished, select Next.
- Review the OVA settings and select the Power on after deployment.
- Select Finish to deploy the Unified Access Gateway.
What to do next
To complete the configuration of the VMware Tunnel, you must log into the Unified Access Gateway admin UI to customize your settings.