Workspace ONE UEM powered by AirWatch offers Mobile Application Management™ (MAM) functionality that helps you manage mobile applications, deploy them to the devices, and secure the applications with the compliance policies. Mobile Application Management solution is a management console that takes the control of selected applications on the end-user mobile device.
Mobile Application Management solution in general include a runtime library that can be integrated with a mobile application at the build time. The library might be packaged as a software development kit (SDK), for example. Integration of the library is not mandatory for all applications in the scope of the solution. Mobile Application Management (MAM) requires enrollment as a first step, also called onboarding. Enrollment is the establishment of a connection with the enterprise’s management console. Depending on the solution, the connection is either between the device and the management console, or between the application and the management console, or both.
Some common enrollment mechanisms are as follows:
- Pre-enrollment, also known as out of box, in which the mobile device has been allocated to the enterprise at some point in the device’s manufacture or packaging.
- Entry of enrollment credentials in a user interface that is part of the operating system.
- Entry of enrollment credentials in a dedicated Mobile Application Management solution endpoint application, sometimes called an agent or device administrator.
- Entry of enrollment credentials in an enterprise application that has integrated the SDK of the Mobile Application Management solution. The application can be an email client, for example.
- Facilitated enrollment by delegation to an application on the device that has already been enrolled using another mechanism.
Application Types and Platforms supported by Workspace ONE UEM
Workspace ONE UEM supports various app types and deployment scenarios on your devices. Workspace ONE UEM classifies the applications as native (internal, public, purchased), SaaS, and Web applications. The information in this section describes the types of apps that you can depoly using Workspace ONE UEM and the various platforms or the operating systems that Workspace ONE UEM supports for each of the application types.
The following table provides the app type and the platforms supportability.
|Application Type||Supported Platforms|
Any Supported App Type
|Apple iOS v7.0+ with limitations for compliance policies|
Note: Ensure that the auxiliary files packaged with Apple iOS or macOS applications do not have spaces in the names. Spaces can cause issues when you load the application to the console.
|Public (Free and Paid)||
|Purchased – Custom Apps||
Apple iOS v7.0+
|Purchased – VPP||
Managed App configuration (AppConfig) in the form of key/value pairs
AppConfig is an initiative to standardize app development for easy configuration, security, and connectivity. By leveraging this standard, organizations can push managed app configuration (AppConfig) in the form of key/value pairs or XML from EMM providers like Workspace ONE directly to their apps. Developers must program their applications appropriately to leverage this functionality. You can enter supported pairs when you upload applications to the Workspace ONE UEM console and you can code them into your applications. Currently, application configurations are available for Android and iOS. You must know the supported key-value pairs for your application to deploy them and to code them.
The application vendor sets the supported configurations for the application. You can contact the vendor or visit other sites with information about application configurations.
- To find the supported application configurations, contact the application vendor.
- See these resources with information about application configurations.
The Workspace ONE UEM knowledge base has articles about working with application configurations when you develop applications. See Workspace ONE UEM Managed App Configuration at Workspace ONE Managed App Configuration for Multiple Platforms .