You can upgrade your Android devices remotely to a new version of the OS using product provisioning. Support includes Zebra devices using the Zebra MX Service and any OEM supporting the Platform OEM Service v3.0 or later. This process allows you to keep your entire device fleet up-to-date without needing to have the devices shipped back to you.
For more information about the Platform OEM Service, see the VMware AirWatch Android Platform Guide topic titled Android OEM Services.
Before updating your Motorola device to a new Zebra OS, you must have the
Device Side OS Update Process
After an Android device receives an Android OS Upgrade file/action, the device processes the command in the following order.
- Device receives the product which you can verify in Agent > Products.
- Download all the files including the OS update zip which you can verify in the Product logs found in Agent > Product > Product Name.
- Once the downloads complete on a Zebra device, the AirWatch Agent backs up its data and any installed managed applications to the device enterprise folder which is persistent.
The Agent then reboots the device into recovery mode to install the update.
- Device then applies the OS update.
- Once complete, the device reboots.
- After reboot, the AirWatch Agent validates that the OS update is successful before reporting that the job completed successfully.