Read through the following section to know more about the supported platforms and considerations of each of the platforms.
Supported Console Versions
VMware Tunnel works with all the supported versions of VMware Workspace ONE UEM.
VMware Tunnel supports iOS, macOS, Android, and Windows 10. The following table outlines the requirements for each of the supported platforms.
AirWatch Agent v5.3+ for Android
|Windows 10||Windows 10 Build 14393+|
- After installing VMware Tunnel for Android, end users must run the app at least once and accept the connection request.
- The key icon in the notification center displays on the device because there is an application installed that uses the Per App VPN functionality. This icon does not indicate an active connection or session with the VMware Tunnel server. The key icon displays even if you are not actively browsing.
- If you are using Per-App Tunnel with Android devices in a cascade mode, then ensure that your internal DNS is exposed to the VMware Tunnel front-end server in the DMZ. For basic endpoint setups, ensure that your internal DNS is exposed to the VMware Tunnel server in the DMZ. For more information, see the knowledge base article, Configure Per-App Tunnel DNS entries for Android and Windows 10 devices: Configure Per-App Tunnel DNS entries for Android and Windows 10 devices.
Certain Android devices allow end users to disable the VPN on an OS level. This prevents the VMware Tunnel from working on the device.
- If you are adding an internal application, Per-App VPN Profile tunneling currently supports only the Android (Legacy) devices. However, Android Work Profile and the Work Managed devices do not support Per-App VPN Profile tunneling for all the internal applications.
Windows 10 Considerations
- After installing VMware Tunnel for Windows 10, end users must accept an alert the first time they start an application that triggers VMware Tunnel.
- When using Windows 10 devices, ensure that your DNS server does not use 192.168.x.x IP as this address is used by the VMware Tunnel Server to assign the IPs to clients (mobile devices). This setting is a configurable setting in server.conf.
- The VMware Tunnel displays as Connected whenever an end user opens a managed app that you configured to use the App Tunnel profile.
VMware Tunnel for Windows 10 does not support VMware Browser for Windows.
iOS and macOS Considerations
End users who are using the Tunnel App on iOS and macOS must download and install VMware Tunnel from the App Store. After installing it, end users have to run it at least once and accept the User Permission prompt.
VMware Tunnel must be present on devices before assigning the VPN profile. For more information on migrating to VMware Tunnel, see VMware Tunnel client to replace AirWatch Tunnel client on iOS