The system to assume management of Win32 applications includes certain caveats to work. After you enable the option, the system acts in a specific order to complete the assuming management process.
This feature works for devices that meet these caveats.
- Devices that enrolled or were assigned after you enabled this option and did not have the application installed.
- Devices that enrolled or were assigned after you enabled this option and did have the application installed with a status of user-installed.
This feature does not support the management assumption process on devices that meet these caveats.
- Devices that enrolled or were assigned before you enabled this option and have the application installed with a status of user-installed.
- Devices that are employee owned. If users have BYODs, you cannot assume management of Win32 applications on these devices.
If you enable Make App MDM Managed if User Installed, the management assumption process takes the listed actions.
- Enable Make App MDM Managed if User Installed and publish the Win32 application.
- VMware Workspace ONE UEM sends install commands to devices that enroll after publication.
- The device responds that it received the command.
If the admin is trying to assume management of the application, the device processes the command by selecting
- Not assuming management - The application installs with the usual process.
- Assuming management - The system looks for the application on the device.
- Application installed - The system re downloads and reinstall the application.
- The device reports the status of the application as managed to the console.
If you disable the option and the user installs the application, the system marks the application as user-installed.
For the procedure to enable Make App MDM Managed if User Installed, see Configure, Assign, and Deploy Win32 Files.