Each Android device in your deployment must be enrolled before it can communicate with Workspace ONE UEM and access internal content and features. Enrollment is facilitated with the AirWatch Agent for Android as the Device Administrator for Android (Legacy) deployment.
You can enroll devices using a web-based process that automatically detects if the AirWatch Agent is already installed. Additionally, you can pre-enroll devices for end users, or end users can enroll their own devices.
Available for download from the Google Play Store and the Amazon App Store, the AirWatch Agent for Android provides a single resource to enroll a device as well as provide device and connection details. Additionally, agent-based enrollment allows you to:
- Authenticate users using basic or directory services, such as AD/LDAP/Domino, SAML, tokens or proxies.
- Register devices in bulk or allow users to self-register.
- Define approved OS versions, models and maximum number of devices per user.
Certain Android OEM vendors offer features and capabilities that you can enable in the Workspace ONE UEM console. See Install an OEM Service App
Note: Looking for Android with Google Registration?,
Android Rugged devices also support using the AirWatch Agent for Android to enroll devices. Workspace ONE UEM recommends using the Product Provisioning system to enroll devices through staging packages as the AirWatch Agent enrollment method does not support some Product Provisioning functionality. The issues are listed below:
- WifiConfig cannot configure Fusion settings for Motorola devices. You must push the WifiConfig.apk as an internal app after enrollment to configure the settings. Extract the WifiConfig.apk from a sideload staging bundle inside the Agent folder of a device and upload it to the Workspace ONE UEMconsole as an internal app.
- Product Persistence does not support AirWatch Agent enrollment method. Products marked for persistence still download to the device but an Enterprise Reset removes all products. Persisted products do not automatically reinstall following an Enterprise Reset when the device reboots.
Requirements for Enrollment
Autodiscovery is a simplified approach that leverages information end users likely already know for enrollment purposes. For more information, see Email Autodiscovery (Android).
You can create enrollment restrictions based on Android (Legacy) manufacturer and model to ensure only approved devices are allowed to enroll with Workspace ONE UEM.
Android (Legacy) Device Enrollment with the AirWatch Agent
The AirWatch Agent application facilitates enrollment and allows for real-time management and access to relevant device information. The enrollment process secures a connection between Android (Legacy) devices and your Workspace ONE UEM environment. For more information, see Enrolling an Android Device with the AirWatch Agent.
AirWatch Agent Sideloading to Android Devices
Sideloading allows you to deploy the AirWatch Agent to Android devices asd device administrator without using the Google Play Store. For more information, see AirWatch Agent Sideloading to Android (Legacy) Devices.
OEM Service App
The OEM Service app is a plug-in app that is only installed and used in combination with AirWatch Agent enrollment. It allows for additional MDM capabilities that only pertain to a specific OEM device. For more information, see OEM Service App.
Platform OEM Service
The Platform OEM Service is an additional app that allows Workspace ONE UEM to provide extended management capabilities to any Android device deployment. For more information, see Platform OEM Service Overview.