VMware AirWatch Cloud Messaging (AWCM) provides secure communication to your back-end systems with the VMware AirWatch Cloud Connector (ACC). The ACC uses AWCM to securely communicate with Workspace ONE UEM powered by AirWatch.
AWCM streamlines the delivery of messages and commands from the UEM console to devices by eliminating the need for end users to access the public Internet or use consumer accounts, such as Google IDs. AWCM serves as a comprehensive substitute for Google Cloud Messaging (GCM) or Firebase Cloud Messaging (FCM) for Android devices and is the only option for providing Mobile Device Management (MDM) capabilities for Windows Rugged devices.
Workspace ONE UEM configures AWCM in SaaS environments for customers who want to use it. If you are a SaaS customer, this documentation can help you understand how AWCM functions within your deployment, but you do not have to perform the configuration steps described here.
On-premises customers can use this guide to configure AWCM and Secure Channel.
AWCM simplifies device management by offering the following benefits:
- Secure communication to your back-end infrastructure through the VMware AirWatch Cloud Connector.
- Real-time communication with Workspace ONE UEM Windows Protection Agent.
- Removing the need for third-party IDs.
- Workspace ONE UEM console commands delivered directly to Android and Windows Rugged devices.
- Remote commands such as device wipe and device lock delivered to macOS devices.
- Increased functionality of internal Wi-fi only devices using push notifications in certain circumstances.