Review the following considerations before you configure and deploy Workspace ONE Boxer.
You can use Workspace ONE Boxer on devices enrolled and managed in Workspace ONE UEM or on iOS and Android devices using standalone enrollment.
Typical enrollment uses the Workspace ONE Intelligent Hub or the AirWatch Container to enroll the device into Workspace ONE UEM. You can also enroll devices through Workspace ONE step-up enrollment.
Standalone enrollment is unique to Workspace ONE Boxer. This enrollment method allows end users to download the Workspace ONE Boxer app from the App Store or the Google Play Store without enrolling first. When the end user configures Workspace ONE Boxer, they must provide their login credentials such as their user name, password, server URL, and group ID.
Standalone Enrollment supports (optional) Workspace ONE UEM Autodiscovery that can be configured on the UEM console. Autodiscovery system allows end users to enroll devices to environments and organization groups (OG) using their email addresses.
Workspace ONE UEM does not support Boxer web-enrollment and only publishing Boxer as a managed application.
For more information on the Autodiscovery setup and configuration, see the VMware Workspace ONE UEM Mobile Device Management Documentation.
- The server URL and user group ID are pre-populated on the end-user devices from the Autodiscovery Service during standalone enrollment.
- Workspace ONE Boxer does not support SAML authentication during standalone enrollments.
If you want to avoid transition of S/MIME certificates and certificate passwords through the VMware cloud, you can always sideload S/MIME certificate for Boxer using the Workspace ONE Web. For information about how to sideload S/MIME certificate, see Sideload S/MIME Certificates from Workspace ONE Web to Boxer.
Historical S/MIME Certificates
You can decrypt and read old S/MIME emails that have been encrypted with older certificates of encryption. You can parse old certificates from different sources, store those certificates, and ensure that these certificates are processed properly so that old emails can be successfully read.
Common Criteria Certification
Workspace ONE Boxer version 5.4 is declared as a National Information Assurance Partnership (NIAP) Common Criteria evaluated product. It has been certified in compliance with the international security standard for the application software, defined under the Common Criteria Recognition Arrangement (CCRA). Boxer is the first email client to receive the international Common Criteria security certification.
For more information about setting up Workspace ONE Boxer in complete NIAP certified mode, see NIAP.
Enterprise Content Support for Boxer
Enterprise Content integrates a part of the VMware Workspace ONE Content application with Boxer to browse online repositories. Users can view email attachments, attach files to emails from online repositories, and save attachments from emails to online repositories. To access online repositories, you must configure the supported repositories in the UEM console. For information about the configuration of the enterprise content, see Enterprise Content section in Application Configuration for Workspace ONE Boxer.
Supported features of Enterprise Content:
- Enterprise Content supports the following online repositories:
Note: To support on-premises SharePoint, access to SharePoint and the device must be in the same network domain.
- Network File System
- SharePoint in Office 365.
- OneDrive for Business.
- Managed Content from the UEM console added by the administrator.
- User added repositories.
- Save email attachments to repositories.
- Compose a new email with an attachment from an online repository.
- Compose an email and attach one or more files from the Boxer Files.
- Reply to an email with one or more attachments from an online repository.
- Sort saved files by size, alphabets, and date modified.
- View a repository's information from the Boxer Settings.
The following list describes the limitations of Enterprise Content
- Users cannot the edit documents present in the repositories as this functionality is available only in the Workspace ONE Content application.
- User added repositories are supported only on iOS devices.
- Enterprise Content does not support the local storage of the Content application.
- The Exchange server sets the email size limit.
- Search option is applicable for iOS devices only and is limited to the folders that users have traversed.
Other Supported Capabilities
- ENS2 VIP Notifications - Workspace ONE Boxer when configured with ENS2 supports VIP notifications. User can create a list of VIP contacts using VIP notifications. Users can choose only to receive notifications from those contacts and set a custom notification sound for the list. Configuration of this VIP list can be found in Boxer Settings > your exchange account > VIP notifications.
- Information Rights Management - Workspace ONE Boxer supports information rights management for both iOS and Android platforms.
- VPP Application Deployment - You can deploy Workspace ONE Boxer for iOS through Apple's Volume Purchase Program (VPP) from the UEM console. This deployment allows end users to download the app without the need to enter Apple ID. For more information on how to deploy applications through VPP, see Purchased Applications (Apple VPP) Feature Overview section of the Mobile Application Management Guide.
- Google G Suite Support - Workspace ONE Boxer supports G Suite for both iOS and Android. For more information about the limitations of Workspace ONE Boxer when used with G Suite, see Current VMware Boxer limitations when used with Google G Suite.
Note: OAuth and third-party identity providers are not supported due to limitations of G Suite's Exchange ActiveSync implementation.
- Apple Wallet Support- Workspace ONE Boxer for iOS has the ability to preview the .pkpass attachments that the user adds to the Apple Wallet.
- Workspace ONE Boxer supports both IRM and Email Classification when composing a message.
- Phishing Report - Workspace ONE Boxer supports the ability to select and report any emails as phishing. The reported email is forwarded to the email address specified in the KVP set in the console. After reporting, the original email reported as phishing is permanently deleted.
- Spam Reporting- Workspace ONE Boxer supports the ability to report any emails as spam. When the user marks an email as spam, the marked email is forwarded to the KVP specified email address. An extra KVP can be used to delete the email upon forwarding.
- Block Insecure Attachments (Android Only) - Workspace ONE Boxer for Android restricts opening and downloading insecure attachment types by default. The device user can allow downloading of an insecure attachment by navigating to and select Allow insecure attachments. Workspace ONE Boxer restricts the following file types:
Restricted File Types Common File Formats ADE ADP BAT CHM CMD COM CPL DLL EXE HTA INS ISP JSE LIB MDE MSC MSP MST PIF SCR SCT SHB SYS VB VBE VBS VXD WSC WSF WSH Common Container Formats TGZ BZ2 XEN APK ZIP GZ Z TAR
- Health Check of Boxer
Workspace ONE Boxer displays and maintains a Health Check screen, describing the current health status of the Boxer under the following metrics.
- App Version - Checks the current version of Boxer.
- Green- Indicates the current version.
- Yellow - Indicates that the version installed is the previous version.
- Red - Indicates that the version installed is an outdated version.
- Sync Health - Checks the network connection and Exchange server's response.
- Green- Indicates that your network connection and Exchange server's response are within normal parameters.
- Yellow - Indicates that the last 10 sync average response times are greater than 2 seconds.
- Red - Indicates that the last 10 sync average response times are greater than 5 seconds.
- Push Notification Health - Shows if you have the Email Notification Service (ENS2) set up by the admin or admin is having issues in subscribing to the ENS service.
Users can update Boxer from the App Store or Play Store and can send logs to the admin by capturing the issue through email. This information is also logged in the Boxer logs for the admin to see more details.
- App Version - Checks the current version of Boxer.
- QuickJoin for Online Meetings
Workspace ONE Boxer allows you to quickly join online meetings such as Skype for Business, Webex, Microsoft Teams, and Zoom with one tap from the calendar invitation. Boxer supports meeting links with words such as Lync, Skype, Zoom, or Webex.You can also configure Boxer to handle meeting links that are vanity URLs specific to a user’s environment. Vanity URLs do not contain the term Lync, Skype, Webex, or Zoom. To configure Boxer to detect vanity URLs, see the QuickJoin - Vanity URL Support section on the Application Configurations for Workspace ONE Boxer.
- ICS File Support
Workspace ONE Boxer supports viewing and adding ICS files to your calendar. This file contains event details such as title, date and time of the event, location, attendees, and user availability. Users can tap on the ICS attachment to add event to their Boxer calendar and preview the event's details. Boxer also supports ICS attachments with multiple events.Note: ICS file is a snapshot of a calendar invite. Users do not get any event updates unless they receive a new ICS file.
- Boxer Siri Shortcuts on iOS Devices
You can enable Siri Shortcuts for quicker access to the information you need. Workspace ONE Boxer provides the following Siri Shortcuts:
- View upcoming Boxer meeting
- View Boxer agenda for the day
- Dial into your next Boxer meeting
To enable Siri Shortcuts in Boxer, you can navigate to iOS Settings > Siri & Search > Boxer > Siri & Suggestions or Boxer Settings > Advanced > Siri Shortcuts and record their Siri suggestions.
You can also combine Boxer with Apple's Shortcuts application to create more complex workflows.
- Synchronize Draft Emails
Workspace ONE Boxer supports synchronization of draft emails between Exchange and Boxer. Users can synchronize newly created draft emails and edit existing drafts. This synchronization requires Office 365, Exchange 2016 and later versions.
- Dark Mode Support for iOS
Boxer follows the iOS Dark Mode settings. When in Dark Mode, in the email detail screen, you can toggle an email's contents back into light mode with the sun or moon toggle.
Dark Mode requires iOS 13 and higher version.
- Dark Theme Support for Android
On Android Boxer, you can view email's content in dark theme. When in dark theme, in the email detail screen, you can toggle an email's content back into light mode with the sun or moon toggle.How dark theme works in VMware Boxer depends on the Android version of your device.
- You can always force Boxer to use the light or dark theme from the Select theme option in the Boxer settings.
- Android 10: Boxer uses the settings for dark theme configured at the OS level.
- Android 9 (Pie): Boxer follows the system Battery Saver settings to determine if the dark theme is used.
Note: For dark theme on Samsung devices running Android Pie, Boxer always follows the Battery Saver toggle and not the system's Night mode toggle.
- Android 8 (Oreo) and earlier versions: When Battery Saver is on, Boxer uses the dark theme. If your device does not have Battery Saver, you can toggle the Dark theme in Boxer Settings.
New Email Compose View for iOS
- Move recipients between the To, Cc, and Bcc boxes.
- Automatically perform spell check on the email body.
- Highlights the external recipients in orange with an external recipients icon.
- Automatically collapses the To, Cc, and Bcc boxes to give you more space to write your email.
Using Escrow Gateway to Retrieve S/MIME Certificates
Workspace ONE Boxer supports Credential Escrow Gateway (CEG) for distributing S/MIME certificates to the managed iOS and Android devices. Using CEG eliminates the need to upload certificates to the Workspace ONE UEM server. As an admin, you can deploy S/MIME certificates to Escrow Gateway through the Workspace ONE UEM console version 2007 and later. Workspace ONE Boxer can retrieve these certificates from Escrow Gateway by providing end-to-end public-key encryption. For more information about this feature, see Uploading Certificates for Credential Escrow Gateway.
Clear Cached Contacts
Workspace ONE Boxer gives you the ability to clear your contacts cache. Cached contacts appear when composing an email or searching for contacts. This feature is useful when your contacts have changed their email address and you do not want to see any suggestions about their old email address when searching. To clear the cached data of your contacts, navigate to. Removing cached contacts in Boxer does not delete emails, contacts, or any other useful information.
Access the User Guide Documentation
Workspace ONE Boxer for Android provides a link to the User Guide documentation to help your users learn more about the app and become self-reliant. To access this link, you must navigate to. When you access the link, the documentation opens in Workspace ONE Web or any other browser that you have set as default. By pressing the browser's back button, you can navigate back to Boxer.
Use Advanced Search Filters to Find Your Emails
- Has attachment
Boxer searches your mailbox based on your selected filter. For example, if you want to display all emails that have attachments, you can select Has attachment. To clear all the selected filters, tap Clear all.
Categorize your Events
Multiple events can be scheduled in the calendar and tracking numerous such events can be a challenge. You can categorize the calendar events by assigning colors using the color categories available on your Outlook desktop application. These color categories help you easily identify and organize your events. iOS Boxer displays the events with their assigned colors in the Agenda, Day, Week, and Month views.
End Events Early
You can configure Workspace ONE Boxer to end your appointments and meetings a few minutes early. This feature brings a focused and effective meeting culture to your organization. It helps to reduce fatigue that can come from back to back online meetings and build in travel time between meetings by ending your meetings 5 minutes early that are less than an hour and 10 minutes early for one hour or longer meetings. You can also configure a different end early duration for meetings under one hour and meetings over one hour or longer from the options in Boxer Settings > More (under Calendar) > Less than one hour or One hour or longer.
When creating or editing events, if the End event early option is enabled by default, the setting applies to the default meeting duration and shortens the duration of the event. The Auto end events early option, found in Boxer Settings > More (under Calendar), takes the default event length and applies the settings to it while creating a calendar event.
Handling Multiple Authentication Certificates
Workspace ONE Boxer for iOS introduces a new screen to handle multiple authentication certificates for an Exchange account. With this new screen, users can view the list of available certificates and select any one authentication certificate. For example, users using the VMware PIV-D Manager application can use this screen to view and select any of the derived credential certificates.
- Other Fax