Workspace ONE UEM powered by AirWatch integrates with Apple Configurator to enable you to supervise and manage scaled deployments of Apple iOS devices.
Administrators can create configuration profiles, import existing profiles from the iPhone Configuration Utility, install specific operating system versions and enforce iOS device security policies.
Install and run Apple Configurator 2 from a macOS laptop to integrate with the Workspace ONE UEM console to supervise and configure one or many devices at the same time.
- Install the Workspace ONE UEM MDM profile as part of the configuration to enroll devices silently.
- Supervise dedicated line-of-business devices that are shared among different users.
- Create configuration profiles to change device settings for Wi-Fi networks, preconfigure mail and Microsoft Exchange settings, and more.
- Distribute public apps without entering an Apple ID on the device using Configurator.
- Create blueprints to automate device management. Use blueprints as templates to configure profiles and application and push them quickly to devices
- Add Supervision to devices and take advantage of even more management capabilities including showing or hiding applications, modifying the device name, wall paper, passcodes, keyboard short cuts and more.
- Back up user settings and app data, including new user-created data using Configurator.
Apple Configurator 2 also works with Apple's Device Enrollment Program (DEP) to automate Mobile Device Management (MDM) enrollment and the Volume Purchase Program (VPP) by assigning managed licenses apps to devices.
Apple Configurator 2 Integration Requirements
Before you start the integration process, make sure you have all the required components mentioned in this section.
A Basic or Directory user account with staging settings enabled if you are staging devices for end users.
- A macOS computer, which will be used to connect to iOS devices using Apple Configurator 2 running macOS EL Capitan or later and iTunes 12.3 or later.
The latest version of Apple Configurator 2 available in the App Store and access to the Workspace ONE UEM console.
These instructions are based on the use of Apple Configurator 2 version 2.2.1. Any other versions of the software may function differently.Important: Integration with any third-party software product is not guaranteed, and is dependent upon the proper functioning of those third-party solutions.
- iOS devices including iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, Apple TV (2nd generation or later)
- USB cable or USB 2.0 or high speed hubs or carts to connect devices
Supervised Devices and MDM
Once a device is supervised and enrolled in Workspace ONE UEM, you can use some of the enhanced features available for configuration when compared to normal device.
Benefits of Supervised Mode
Following are the enhanced features available for configuration:Enhanced Security
- Elevated Restrictions over MDM
- Prevent User from Removing Applications. Removing applications can also be restricted locally on the device using restrictions under System Configuration.
- Prevent AirDrop.
- Prevent users from modifying iCloud and Mail account settings which prevents account modification.
- Deactivate iMessage.
- Set iBookstore Content rating restrictions.
- Deactivate Game Center and iBookstore.
- Enhanced Security
- Prevent end users from visiting websites with adult content in Safari.
- Restrict which devices can connect to specified AirPlay destinations, such as Apple TVs.
- Prevent the installation of certificates or unmanaged configuration profiles.
- Force all device network traffic through a global HTTP proxy.
- Kiosk Mode
- Lock down devices to one app with single app mode and deactivate the home button.
- Customize Wallpaper and Text on Device
- Enable or Clear Activation Lock
For a complete list of features and functionality available to supervised and unsupervised devices, refer to the iOS Functionality Matrix: Supervised vs. Unsupervised.