Software and Hardware PrerequisitesSoftware
- Safari 6.0.3 or later on macOS
- Google Chrome 27.0.1 or later
- UEM console v8.4
- Devices were ordered after March 1, 2011 and purchased directly from Apple using your enrolled and verified Apple Customer Number. For more information, see Apple School Manager Help.
- Devices were purchased directly from a participating Apple Authorized Reseller or carrier and (for resellers only) linked to the DEP Reseller ID. The Apple Authorized Reseller or carrier sales history determines the actual date of eligibility, but the date cannot be before March 1, 2011. For more information, see Apple School Manager Help.
- iPad mini 4 or later running iOS 9.3+ using 32+ GB of memory
- iPad Air 2 or later running iOS 9.3+ using 32+ GB of memory
- 9.7‑inch iPad Pro or later running iOS 9.3+ using 32+ GB of memory
- 12.9‑inch iPad Pro or later running iOS 9.3 using 32+ GB of memory
- Must be Bluetooth enabled
- Configuration profile containing class information must be pushed to the student iPad
- iPad third generation or later running iOS 9.3+
- iPad mini or later running iOS 9.3+
- 9.7‑inch iPad Pro running iOS 9.3
- 12.9‑inch iPad Pro running iOS 9.3+
- Must be Bluetooth enabled
- Supervision is required for student devices
- Configuration profile containing class information must be pushed to the teacher iPad or student iPad
The following tasks must be completed before you configure Workspace ONE UEM Education functionality.Institutional Accounts
- Apple School Manager - Register your school or institution with Apple School Manager and create an administrator account.
- Managed Apple IDs - Credentials required to sign into Shared iPads to access Apple services. Create these credentials in the Apple School Manager portal.
- Optional Apple IDs - Optional credentials required to sign into Apple Services that may be used for one-to-one devices if needed. Create these credentials in iTunes or using the device Setup Assistant.
- Device Enrollment Program - Required for shared iPads. Optional for one-to-one devices. Enroll with the Apple Device Enrollment Program (DEP) and create an administrator account to automate enrollment and manage devices. For information on integrating DEP with Workspace ONE UEM, see the VMware Workspace ONE UEM Guide for the Device Enrollment Program.
- Apple Volume Purchase Program - Register with Apple Volume Purchase Program (VPP) and purchase applications using the managed distribution, device-based method. For information on this method and integrating Apple VPP with Workspace ONE UEM, see the VMware Workspace ONE UEM Mobile Application Management Guide.
- Apple's Classroom App - Classroom is a stand-alone application that customers order through the Volume Purchase Program and push to devices as a managed application. The Classroom application is not covered in this documentation. For information about using Classroom, see Apple Classroom Help.
- Apple Push Notification service (APNs) - Configure APNs certificates in the UEM console to push notifications to managed devices. For more information on APNs, see Generating and Renewing and APNs Certificate.
- Enrollment Users - Add all one-to-one enrollment users to the UEM console. For information on users, see the VMware Workspace ONE UEM Guide for Mobile Device Management.