Peer distribution requires components for communication, data management, application deployment, and optional storage.
Supported Platforms and Application Types
- Windows Desktop (Windows 10)
- Win32 applications
SQL - Get SQL Server Express or see if your organization uses SQL Database. The peer-to-peer server uses SQL Database to store application metadata and information about the network topology. To download SQL Server Express, outbound port 443 must be open.
Ensure that the peer-to-peer server can communicate with SQL Server Express or the organization's SQL Database.
- VMware Enterprise Systems Connector - Ensure that VMware Enterprise Systems Connector is enabled. This component ensures secure communication between your network and Workspace ONE UEM. Ensure that the All Other Components option is enabled in the VMware Enterprise Systems Connector configurations located in the console at .
Software Package Deployment - Configure Workspace ONE UEM to recognize the deployment of application packages through the software distribution method. The software distribution client resides on devices to communicate with the peer-to-peer system and the Workspace ONE UEM console. Go to and enable Software Package Deployment.
File Storage (on-premises) - Workspace ONE UEM stores Win32 applications on a secure file storage system. Peer-to-peer clients receive application packages from the storage system when clients cannot find other clients with the application package.
Peer-to-Peer Server Requirements
Ensure that the machine that houses the peer-to-peer server meets these requirements.
|Operating system||Windows Server 2008+|
|Processor||Xeon Processor, single quad core|
- Service Account Permissions on the SQL Database - On the machine hosting the SQL Database instance or SQL Server Express, grant the entity Service Account Permissions SQL sysadmin server roles for the initial installation of the peer distribution system. The role is not needed for everyday operation of the peer distribution system.
- Required Databases - Ensure SQL includes the following databases.
- Required Database Size - The database requires 200 KB per client.
Required Configurations for Deployment
The deployment of applications with the peer-to-peer distribution system requires you to set the listed configurations in the Workspace ONE UEM console and on devices.
- Enable the software package deployment. See Requirements to Deploy Win32Applications for Software Distribution.
- Configure the peer distribution software. See Configure Peer Distribution Software Setup.
- Install and activate peer-to-peer clients on devices. See Configure Peer Distribution Software Setup.
- Upload and publish applications to the peer-to-peer server. See Software Distribution of Win32 ApplicationsVMware Workspace ONE UEM 1904 .
CDN for on-premises, Optional
On-premises deployments can use a content delivery network (CDN) as the backup delivery system instead of the file storage system. Workspace ONE UEM partners with a third-party vendor to offer a CDN for the on-premises environment at a cost. Workspace ONE UEM also integrates this CDN solution for SaaS environments.
This option has the advantage of sending the content to devices in the network and to remote devices. Whereas the peer distribution system with the file storage backup, sends content to only devices in the network. Although optional, a CDN offers increased download speeds and reduces bandwidth on Workspace ONE UEM servers. Find settings for this option in .