Administrator roles are a portable resource. This portability can save time if you manage more than one Workspace ONE UEM environment. You can export settings from one environment as an XML file, then import that XML file into another environment. Be aware that such activity can cause versioning issues.
Export Admin Roles
- Navigate to .
- Select the check box next to the administrator role that you want to export. Doing so displays actions buttons above the role listing. If you select more than one admin role, the Export action is not available.
- Select Export and save the XML file to a location on your device.
Import Admin Roles
- Navigate to Import Role. and select
- In the Import Role page, select Browse and locate the previously saved XML file. Select Upload to upload the admin role to the Category listing for validation.
- Workspace ONE UEM performs a series of validation checks including an XML file check, importing role permission check, duplicate role name check, and blank name and description check.
- Check the resource settings and verify their imported role specifications by selecting specific Categories in the left pane.
- You can also edit the resources and the Name and Description of the imported role based on your needs. If you want to keep both the existing role and the imported role, then rename the existing admin role before importing the new role.
- If the role you are importing is named the same as an existing role in your environment, then a message displays. "A role with this name exists in this environment. Would you Like to override the existing role?"
- If you select No, then the existing role in your environment remains untouched and the role import is canceled.
- If you select Yes, then you are prompted for the security PIN, which if entered correctly, replaces the existing role with the imported role.
- Select Save to apply the imported role to the new environment.
Versioning Issues When Importing and Exporting Admin Roles
There can be cases where an exported role is imported into an environment running an earlier version of Workspace ONE UEM. This earlier version might not have the same resources and permissions that comprise the imported role.
In these cases, Workspace ONE UEM notifies you with the following message.
There are some permissions in this environment that are not found in your imported file. Review and correct the highlighted permissions before saving.
Use the category listing page to deselect the highlighted permissions. This action allows you to save the role to the new environment.