Before you can assign a smart group to an application, book, compliance policy, device profile, or product provision, you must first create one.
- Select the applicable Organization Group (OG) to which your new smart group applies and from which it can be managed. Selecting an OG is optional.
- Navigate to Add Smart Group. and then select
- Enter a Name for the smart group.
- Optionally, you can enable the Device Preview to see which devices are included in the smart group you have designed. This device preview is disabled by default to improve performance.
- Configure the smart group type.
Switching between Criteria and Devices or Users erases any entries and selections you might have made.
The Criteria option works best for groups with large numbers of devices (more than 500) that receive general updates. This method works best because the inherent details of these groups can reach all endpoints of your mobile fleet.
- Devices or Users
The Devices or Users option works best for groups with smaller numbers of devices (500 or fewer) that receive sporadic, although important, updates. This method works best because of the granular level at which you can select group members.
- In the Criteria type, select qualifying parameters to add in the smart group. If no selection is made in any setting, then that filtering is not applied toward the criteria.
Setting Description Organization Group This criteria option filters devices by organization groups selected. You can select more than one OG. User Group This criteria option filters devices by user groups selected. You can select more than one user group. Ownership This criteria option filters devices by ownership type selected. Tags This criteria option filters devices according to the way they are tagged. You can select more than one tag. Platform and Operating System
This criteria option filters devices by platform and OS selected. You can select multiple combinations of each.
While Platform is a criterion within a smart group, the platform configured in the device profile or compliance policy always takes precedence over the smart group's platform. For instance, if a device profile is created for the iOS platform, the profile is only assigned to iOS devices even if the smart group includes Android devices.
OEM & Model
This criteria option applies only to Android and Windows Desktop platform selections made in Platform and Operating System.
You can select one or more original equipment manufacturers and multiple models per OEM.
New Android OEMs and models get added to the drop-down menu when devices are enrolled or synced.
This criteria option filters non Android and non Windows Desktop devices by model. Individual models displayed are based on the selections made in Platform and Operating System.
Select from the list of presented models to include in your smart group.
Enterprise OEM Version
This criteria option filters devices by enterprise original equipment manufacturer version. You can select more than one Enterprise OEM version.
An Enterprise OEM version is a software-based classification applicable to OEM device models. For example, an Enterprise OEM version can be supplementary software support for devices such as Motorola's Mobility Extensions (MX) or Samsung SAFE. An Enterprise OEM version can also be an OEM's particular flavor of the Android operating system such as those offered by Honeywell, LG, and Sony among others.
Management Type Filter devices according to the way the device is managed. Enrollment Category Filter devices according to the way the device is enrolled. Additions This criteria option adds individual devices and users that are not included in the filtering criteria. You can select more than one device and more than one user. Exclusions This criteria option excludes individual devices, individual users, and user groups that are included in the filtering criteria. You can exclude more than one device, more than one user, and more than one user group.
- Use the Devices or Users type to assign content and settings to special cases outside of the general enterprise mobility criteria. Enter the device friendly name in Devices and user name (first name or last name) in Users. You must Add at least one device or user or you cannot save the smart group.
Setting Description Devices Add a device to this Smart Group by entering the device friendly name. You can add more than one device using this method. Users Add users to this smart group by entering the user name, first name, or last name. You can add more than one user using this method.
- Select Save when complete.