A software update server profile allows you to specify the update server that will be tied to the device for all versioning and update control.
Use this profile to connect to a macOS server with the Workspace ONE Intelligent Hub and configure schedules that actively check and perform updates much more frequently that the system does. If needed, connect to a corporate server to perform updates. Either way, this profile provides a simple solution for managing software updates, restart options and notification updates for end users.
- Navigate to Resources > Profiles & Baselines > Profiles and select Add. Select Apple macOS, and then select Device Profile, since this profile is only applicable to the entire device.
- Configure the profile's General settings.
- Select the Software Update payload.
- Configure Software Update settings:
Setting Description Update Source Choose a server to configure communication with the client computers' .plist.
If choosing Corporate SUS, enter the hostname of the server (for example, http://server.net:8088/index.sucatalog.)
Install macOS updates
Select how and when to check for and control updates.
- Install Updates Automatically – Downloads and installs all updates; sends notifications to the end user.
- Download Updates in Background – Downloads the updates; sends notifications; the end user installs updates when ready.
- Check for updates only – Checks for updates and sends notifications to the end user; the user downloads and installs the updates.
- Don't Automatically Check for Updates – Turns off the ability to update software; monitors .plist settings to match profile only.
Choose updates to send to the computer.
- Choose All – Sends all updates including Apple updates.
- Recommended only – Sends only security updates.
Allow installation of macOS beta releases
Select this check box to allow beta releases on the server. This option may be best for testing environments only. This does not require the Workspace ONE Intelligent Hub.
Install app updates Select to allow app updates.
Notify the user updates are installing
Send the end user notifications about receiving updates on the device. Schedule
Schedule updates with the Workspace ONE Intelligent Hub,
- Configure Update Interval – Choose how often to check for updates in two-hour increments.
- Update a Specific Time – Choose specific days and times to check for updates. Choose times to control updates when there are concerns about use during peak business hours or band-width utilization
Force Restart (if required)
Automatically restart the computer if required to complete the software update.
- Grace Period – Choose to defer a reboot for a certain period of time. After this time expires, the computer automatically reboots.
Note: Grace Period settings will also be translated to the screensaver settings.This setting will also be translated to the screensaver settings.
- Allow user to defer – Enable the user to choose to defer re-starting the computer for a certain period of time.
- Defer time – Chose how often to prompt the user to re-start the computer after deferment. After each allowed deferment, a message appears prompting the user to re-start the computer.
- Max number of defers – Choose how many times the user can defer from re-starting the computer before it is automatically re-started to complete the update process.
- Select Save & Publish when you are finished to push the profile to devices.