Workspace ONE UEM Launcher Configuration
VMware Workspace ONE UEM Launcher provides a highly customizable experience for your shift workers. You can add custom branding, set app icon positioning, and configure which device settings they should have access to.
Prior to creating a Launcher profile, you should add any internal and/ or public applications that will be used by your shift workers into the Workspace ONE UEM console.
If your shift workers need to have a different set of apps or settings available to them based on their role, you must create multiple Launcher profiles and assign them to the different smart group(s) created based on the role.
Create a Launcher Profile
- Navigate to Devices > Profiles & Resources > Profiles > Add > Add Profile > Android.
- Under the General Tab, provide a name for the profile and assign the profile to smart group(s) that include your shift workers.
- Select the Launcher payload, select Configure.
- Select Multi App.
- Drag and drop applications from the left to the canvas on the right.
- Adjust the positioning of the app icon to ensure that shift workers get a consistent experience on any device they sign into at the start of the shift.
- You can use the Create Folder option at the top of the canvas to organize your apps for your shift workers.
- Under the Layout, add a custom wallpaper, if desired.
- Under the Settings dropdown, you can enter an administrative passcode that enables you to exit out of the launcher screen for troubleshooting.
- Additionally, you can also customize which settings your users can access. Once you're done customizing settings, select Save.
- Select Save to complete the Launcher configuration.
- Select Save and Publish.
For advanced use cases that are not available in the Launcher profile, you can refer to Custom XML for Workspace ONE Launcher.
Clear Data Between User Sessions
You can choose to clear app data for all apps between user sessions.
- Navigate to Devices & Users > General > Shared Device > Logout Settings.
- Enable Clear Android App Data, Clear Android Device Passcode, and Clear Android Accounts.
Enrolling a Device Using a QR Code
- Power on the device. The setup wizard prompts the user to tap the Welcome screen six times. The taps have to be done in the same place on the screen.
- For Android 8.0 devices, proceed to step 2 in order to download the QR Code reader.
- For Android 9.0 and later devices, the camera will open automatically after you complete the six taps, so you can skip to step 3.
- Connect to Wi-Fi and the setup wizard automatically downloads a QR code reader. The QR code reader app automatically starts once complete.
- Scan your QR code. For Android 9.0 or later devices, use the QR code option on the camera to scan.
- The setup wizard automatically downloads the Workspace ONE Intelligent Hub and enrolls the device using the staging user you created earlier.
- After enrollment is complete, Workspace ONE Launcher then downloads and launches.
The device is now ready for your shift workers to sign in.
Migration From Native Check-In Check-Out to Workspace ONE Launcher
You can migrate any existing devices meeting the above pre-requisites that are using Native Android to Workspace ONE Launcher by changing the setting in the Staging section of the enrolled Staging user in the Workspace ONE UEM console.
To change the setting:
- Navigate to Accounts > Users > List View > Edit User for the Staging user with which the devices you would like to migrate are associated.
- Switch to Advanced > Staging, and under Multi User Devices choose Launcher under Android Shared Device Mode.
- Select Save.
On the device side, once the logged in user checks in (selects End Session, the Workspace ONE Intelligent Hub receives the new settings from the UEM console, exits Native Android configuration and Launcher settings are pushed down when a new user logs in.