You can configure host-only networking for an existing virtual machine. You can connect a virtual network adapter to the default host-only network (VMnet1) or to a custom host-only network. If a virtual machine has two virtual network adapters, you can connect it to two host-only networks.
Before you begin
To connect the virtual machine to two host-only networks, add a second virtual network adapter to the virtual machine. See Add a Virtual Network Adapter to a Virtual Machine.
About this task
To configure host-only networking for a new virtual machine, select Customize Hardware when you run the New Virtual Machine wizard.
- Select the virtual machine and select .
- On the Hardware tab select a virtual network adapter.
- Select the host-only network.
Use the default host-only network (VMnet1)
Select Host-only: A private network shared with the host.
Use a custom host-only network
Select Custom and select the custom host-only network from the drop-down menu.
- To connect the virtual machine to a second host-only network, select another virtual network adapter and select the second host-only network.
- Click OK to save your changes.
What to do next
Assign IP addresses to the virtual network adapters. To see the IP address that a host-only network is using, use the ipconfig /all command on the Windows host.