You can make a copy of an existing role by cloning it. When you clone a role, the new role is not applied to users, groups, or objects. You must assign the role to users or groups and objects.
Before you begin
If you are cloning a role on a remote host, connect to the remote server. See Connect to a Remote Server.
About this task
You can change the privileges in a cloned role during the cloning process. See Defined Privileges in the Workstation Pro documentation center for descriptions of the available privileges. The Workstation Pro documentation center is available on the VMware Web site at https://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/ws_pubs.html.
- Open the Edit Roles dialog box.
Clone a role on the local host
(Windows host) Right-click Shared VMs and select Roles.
(Linux host) Right-click Shared VMs and select Edit Roles.
Clone a role on a remote host
(Windows host) Right-click the remote host and select Roles.
(Linux host) Right-click the remote host and select Edit Roles.
- Select the role to clone and click Clone.
Workstation Pro adds a copy of the role to the list of roles.
- Type a new name for the cloned role.
Replace the name of the role in the Roles list.
Type a new name in the Name text box.
- (Optional) : To change the privileges in the cloned role, select or deselect privileges from the privileges tree.
You can expand the tree to view the privileges in each category.
- Click OK (Windows host) or Save (Linux host) to create the new role.