You can debug an application in a virtual machine from a Windows host system over a virtual serial port.
Verify that Debugging Tools for Windows is installed on the host system and that it supports debugging over a pipe. It must be version 220.127.116.11 or later.
Verify that a serial port is configured for the virtual machine. See Configuring Virtual Ports.
- Configure the named pipe on the target virtual machine and select This end is the server.
- Power on the virtual machine.
- Select the virtual machine, select , and verify that the serial port is connected.
- If the serial port is not reported as \\.\pipe\namedpipe, select the virtual serial port and click Connect.
- On the host system, type the debugger command.
For example: debugger -k com:port=\\.\pipe\namedpipe,pipe
The debugger value is WinDbg or KD.
- Press Enter to start debugging.