You must perform certain preliminary tasks to use accelerated 3D graphics on a virtual machine.
About this task
The accelerated 3D graphics feature is enabled by default on Workstation 6.x and later virtual machines.
Prepare the host system to use accelerated 3D graphics. See Prepare the Host System to Use 3D Accelerated Graphics.
If using DirectX 9, verify that the guest operating system is Windows XP or later. DirectX 9 is supported on virtual machines running hardware version 11 or earlier.
If using DirectX 10, verify that the guest operating system is Windows 7 or later. DirectX 10 is supported on virtual machines running hardware version 12 or later.
Verify that the latest version of VMware Tools is installed in the guest operating system.
Power off the virtual machine. The virtual machine must not be suspended.
- Select the virtual machine and select .
- On the Hardware tab, select Display.
- Select Accelerate 3D graphics.
- Configure the virtual machine to use only one monitor.
- Click OK to save your changes.
- Power on the virtual machine and install the required DirectX EndRuntime version.
This download is available from the Microsoft Download Center.
- Install and run your 3D applications.