You can add one or more DVD or CD-ROM drives to a virtual machine. You can connect the virtual DVD or CD-ROM drive to a physical drive or an ISO image file.
About this task
You can configure the virtual DVD or CD-ROM drive as an IDE, SCSI, or SATA device, regardless of the type of physical drive that you connect it to. For example, if the host has an IDE CD-ROM drive, you can set up the virtual machine drive as either SCSI or IDE and connect it to the host drive.
Do not configure legacy emulation mode unless you experience problems with normal mode. See Configure Legacy Emulation Mode for a DVD or CD-ROM Drive for more information.
- Select the virtual machine and select .
- On the Hardware tab, click Add.
- In the Add Hardware wizard, select DVD/CD Drive.
- Click Finish to add the drive to the virtual machine.
- (Optional) : To change which SCSI, IDE, or SATA device identifier to use for the drive, select the drive and click Advanced.
- Click OK to save your changes.