To connect from a virtual machine to a WINS server that is not set up on the host system, you must manually configure the IP address of the WINS server.
You can use this procedure for Windows 2000, XP, 2003 Server, and 9x guest operating systems. The steps might be different, depending on the Windows operating system type. Repeat this procedure for each WINS server that you want to connect to from the virtual machine.
- In the Windows virtual machine, right-click My Network Places and select Properties.
- In the Network Connections window, right-click the virtual network adapter and choose Properties.
- In the Properties dialog box, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties.
- In the TCP/IP Properties dialog box, click Advanced.
- On the WINS tab, click Add.
- In the TCP/IP WINS Server dialog box, type the IP address for the WINS server in the WINS server text box and click Add.
The IP address of the WINS server appears in the WINS addresses list on the WINS tab.
- Click OK twice and click Close.