If the default system roles do not meet your needs, you can combine selected privileges to create your own roles.
Privileges define individual rights that a user requires to perform actions and read properties. The privileges that you can select when you create a role depend on whether the server is running ESX, ESXi, or vCenter Server.
See Defined Privileges in the Workstation Pro documentation center for descriptions of the available privileges. The Workstation Pro documentation center is available on the VMware Web site at https://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/ws_pubs.html.
If you are creating a role on a remote host, connect to the remote server. See Connect to a Remote Server.
- Open the Edit Roles dialog box.
Option Description Create a role on a remote host
- (Windows host) Right-click the remote host and select Roles.
- (Linux host) Right-click the remote host and select Edit Roles.
- Click Add.
- Type a name for the new role.
Option Description Windows host Replace the name of the role in the Roles list. Linux host Type a new name in the Name text box.
- From the privileges tree, select the privileges to include in the new role.
You can expand the tree to view the privileges in each category.
- Click OK (Windows host) or Save (Linux host) to create the new role.