VMware vRealize Configuration Manager 5.8.5 | 11 October 2018 | Build 29
Last Document Update: 11 October 2018
Check frequently for additions and updates to these release notes.
What's in the Release NotesThe release notes cover the following topics:
- What's New
- Upgrades to This Release
- Open Source Components for vRealize Configuration Manager
- Resolved Issues
- Known Issues
vRealize Configuration Manager 5.8.5 provides supports to several upgraded programs and includes new features.
- JRE upgrade to 1.8.0_181
JRE has been upgraded to 1.8.0_181.
- OpenSSL Security 1.0.2p
OpenSSL Security 1.0.2p support has been provided for Linux and Windows platforms.
- Python upgrade to 2.7.15
Python version has been upgraded to 2.7.15 for Linux and Windows platforms.
- Apache TC Server upgrade to 8.5.32
Apache TC Server has been upgraded to 8.5.32.
- VCM 5.8.5 supports the following platforms:
- vSphere 6.7
- SQL Server 2016 SP1 and SP2
- SQL Server 2017 Gold
- Pricing and Packaging changes for vRealize Configurations Manager.
The current vRealize Configuration Manager supports these changes.
VMware is announcing that the current version of vRealize Operations, version 6.7, is the last release that will bundle vRealize Configurations Manager.
- vRealize Operations Enterprise customers upgrading to versions 7.0 will continue to be entitled to vRealize Configuration Manager for their existing footprint.
- vRealize Operations Advanced customers upgrading to versions 7.0 will no longer be entitled to vRealize Configurations Manager. If you use vRealize Configuration Manager today, you can continue to use versions up to 5.8.4, as packaged with vRealize Operations 6.7.
Upgrades to This Release
To upgrade your version of VCM to the current version, you must be running VCM 5.8.3 or later. To migrate your environment to the current version of VCM, you must be running VCM 5.8.2 or earlier, EMC Ionix SCM 5.0 or later, or Configuresoft ECM 4.11.1 or later.
An upgrade installs the new version of VCM on the 64-bit Windows machines in single-tier, two-tier, or three-tier installation configurations.
In this release, the upgrade process verifies your VCM certificates and gives you the option to select or generate new certificates. You must select or generate new certificates if the current certificates are expired.
A migration to VCM 5.8.5 requires that you install VCM in a 64-bit environment and migrate your 32-bit database to the 64-bit database. Before you perform the migration, update your environment to include the Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, or Windows Server 2012 R2 operating system, SQL Server 2008 R2, SQL Server 2012, SQL Server 2014, or SQL Server 2016 and SQL Server Reporting Services, and then migrate your existing VCM, SCM, or ECM data to the 64-bit environment.
For more information about upgrading an existing instance of VCM, see the VCM Advanced Installation Guide on the VMware Web site at https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vRealize-Configuration-Manager/index.html.
Open Source Components for vRealize Configuration Manager
The copyright statements and licenses applicable to the open source software components distributed in vRealize Configuration Manager 5.8.5 are available at Download VMware vRealize Configuration Manager, on the Open Source tab. You can also download the source files for any GPL, LGPL, or other similar licenses that require the source code or modifications to source code to be made available for the most recent generally available release of vSphere.
The VCM 5.8.5 release addresses and resolves internationalization defects that affected how VCM processes and displays non-ASCII characters and various date formats.
- Receiving transform errors when completing Windows file system collections
When the folder names contain single quote character, the database query used for checking existence of the entry used to fail, thereby causing the transform errors.
- Performance changes for helper views called during windows patch assessments
There was a performance issue in patch assessment and the job running and job history pages.
- The built-in reporting for AntiVirus products is not supporting SEP (Symantec EndPoint Protection v14)
The built-in reports for AntiVirus products were not working for Symantec EndPoint Protection (SEP) version 14.
- Filters on "Host version" are not working and Compliance Reports are wrong
The filter was not working properly for Compliance preview and results. The ESX 5.x server was also displayed even if the results were filtered for just ESX 6.x.
- SQL server transforms failing for WinCustomFilters.
SQL Server SMO data collection was failing due to a bug in transform.
Known IssuesNew known issues are marked with the * symbol.
The known issues are grouped as follows.Known Issues from Previous Releases
- The context sensitive help does not work for the Install OpenSCAP Engine wizard
When you click Help on the Install OpenSCAP Engine wizard (Administration > Machines Manager > Licensed Machines > Licensed UNIX Machines > Install OpenSCAP Engine), the help window open the Welcome page.
Workaround: Open the Install OpenSCAP Engine wizard information manually on the online help page.
Expand Managing Linux, UNIX, and Mac OS X Machines > Linux, UNIX, and Mac OS X Data and Actions > About Administration > About Machines Manager > Licensed Machines > Licensed UNIX Machines > Install OpenSCAP Engine
- Unable to import Microsoft SQL Reporting Service Report
You cannot import Microsoft SQL Reporting Service Report when you log in to VCM with a domain user that is added into VCM by a domain user with VCM administrator role. The error message Unable to save one or more reports is displayed.
- McAfee Solidifier blocks the VCM installation
When you attempt to install VCM on a machine that has McAfee Solidifier installed, the installation fails.
Workaround: To install VCM on a machine that has McAfee Solidifier installed, either put McAfee Solidifier in update mode, add an exception rule in McAfee Solidifier, or disable McAfee Solidifier until VCM is installed, and then enable it again.
- VCM does not update the list of snapshots after you delete a snapshot
After you collect data from a vCenter Server instance that includes multiple hosts, guests, and snapshots, when you navigate to Console > Virtual Environments > vCenter > Guests > Snapshot, select one or more snapshots, and click Delete Snapshot, when you view the list of snapshots in Console > Virtual Environments > vCenter > Guests > Snapshot, VCM does not update the list of snapshots, even though the snapshots are deleted. This behavior also occurs if you use the Virtual Environment Compliance remediation action to delete a snapshot.
Workaround: Collect the vCenter Server Guests data from the managed machines, and view the updated list of snapshots.
- You cannot set Network Authority to the CMDelegate account when the protocol of a Windows machine is unknown
When you use VCM Remote before an Agent is installed on the managed machine, or when you use an earlier version of VCM Remote, then manually install an HTTP Agent, the protocol setting is empty in Administration > Machines Manager > Licensed Machines > Licensed Windows Machines, and does not change when you run the Change Protocol action. You cannot set the Network Authority to the CMDelegate account, because the Network Authority requires HTTP as the protocol.
Workaround: Wait 2 to 5 minutes for VCM Remote to update the protocol to HTTP in the user interface, then set the Network authority to the CMDelegate account.
- Patch deployment fails for some Linux managed machines, such as CentOS and OEL, when SELinux is enabled on the managed machine
VCM installs the Linux Agent in inetd or xinetd mode by default. When SELinux is enabled on the managed machine, and the Linux Agent on the managed machine is running in inetd mode, patch deployment fails and VCM displays an error similar to the following error: install: %pre scriptlet failed (2), skipping <PACKAGE>. For more information, see KB 2079311
Workaround: Redeploy the Linux Agent to the managed machine in daemon mode.
- Check boxes do not work on Report data page while creating an Active Directory Report in Internet Explorer 10 or 11
Some checkboxes cannot be selected or do not appear in the Report data page while creating Active Directory Reports in Internet Explorer 10 or 11.
Workaround: Click Back and return to the Data Type wizard. The check boxes appears correctly.
- Unable to deploy patches from imported templates for UNIX/Linux platforms
After you create an imported template with appropriate patching format, if you click Deploy to deploy the patches, the operation fails and the warning message There are no assessment items to deploy. The deployment is applicable to a machine licensed for Unix patching and with a patch status of 'Not patched'. The wizard will be closed is displayed.
- Double-byte characters are not recognized while adding accounts with double-byte full name and description in a high ASCII environment. High ASCII characters are not recognized while adding accounts with high ASCII full name and description in a double-byte environment
In a double-byte environment, when you create user accounts having full name and description in high ASCII characters, the high ASCII characters are not recognized. Similarly, in a high ASCII environment, if the accounts are created in double-byte characters, then the double-byte characters are not recognized.
- Manage Guests option under Console > Virtual Environments > vCenter > Guests > Summary creates duplicate machines of same guest name if the guest is already managed
Manage Guests option on any guest machine under Console > Virtual Environments > vCenter > Guests > Summary is allowed multiple times. This causes the duplicate guest machines to be created if the guest is already managed.
- Collections from vCloud Director with vCenter Single Sign-On fail because VCM cannot authenticate the user
When VCM collects data from a vCloud Director instance that is configured with vCenter Server Single Sign On, the collection fails.
- VCM delta collection of File system data type collects all data after time changes due to Daylight Saving
After time changes due to day light saving, the first delta collection of data type File system is treated as a non-delta collection, and also the same is reported in the change management tool.
- IP Address column is not populated if Allowed IP Range in vCenter is specified in CIDR notation
If Allowed IP Range in vCenter is specified in CIDR notation, the IP Address column is not populated with data under Console > Virtual Environments > vCenter > Hosts > Advanced Configuration > Security Profile node.
- Foundation Checker is not checking whether the SQL Server Agent is enabled and running
The SQL Server Agent service is required for housekeeping and scheduled jobs processing. Currently, Foundation Checker is not making any notification when the SQL Server Agent is disabled.
Workaround: Validate the SQL Server agent services that must be running.
- Newly added guest configuration setting is not displayed under available settings in Change Settings Wizard
When we add a new guest configuration setting for any guest, a key gets added. If I try to edit the same key immediately after adding it, it does not appear in the list of Change Settings wizard.
Workaround: Performing a delta collection of guest data class makes the new setting available to edit.
- Microsoft Edge is not supported with vRealize Configuration Manager
Accessing vRealize Configuration Manager from Microsoft Edge browser is not supported.
Workaround: Use Internet Explorer 11 to access vRealize Configuration Manager.
- Solaris 11 does not support agent installation in xinetd mode
Solaris 11 supports agent installation only through daemon mode and does not support agent installation in xinetd mode.
Workaround: Install the agent in daemon mode.
- In an upgraded VCM environment, the TLS 1.2 protocol is not supported before the Agent upgrades
You can use TLS 1.2 protocol only after the Agent upgrades in an upgraded VCM environment.
Workaround: Follow the steps below to workaround this issue:
- Enable all TLS protocols.
- Upgrade all Agents.
- Disable TLS 1.0 and 1.1 to work with only TLS 1.2 protocol.
- In Jlicense, the new SKU of vRealize Operations Management Suite 6 Advanced Edition is displayed as 'Server' edition instead of 'vRealize Operations Manager Advanced Suite'
During dry run, when you apply Jlicense, the new SKU of vRealize Operations Management Suite 6 Advanced Edition is displayed as 'Server' edition instead of 'vRealize Operations Manager Advanced Suite'. You will notice that the license applied is displayed under 'vRealize Operations Manager Suite Server' Machine Class as expected and the functionality is unaffected.
- Windows 2016 Server core machines are reported as full installation instead of core installation
VCM reports Windows 2016 Server Core machines as full installation instead of core installation. This does not impact patching as the situation is handled in content.
- Unable to upgrade VCM on any other drive other than C:\ drive with 8.3 naming disabled
Upgrading VCM on any drive other than C:\ drive with 8.3 naming disabled fails with an error message Could not open install.log file. When you click OK on the pop-up screen, the upgrade continues without any impact of VCM functionalities.
- The Resubmit Job during UNIX patch deployment is not working*
When the deployment of a patch on the target UNIX machine fails, when you navigate to Administration > Job Manager > History > Other Job and click Resubmit Job, you see the No data returned error.
- * The XML file for the XCCDF XML column in SCAP compliance assessment result is not formatted
In the SCAP compliance assessment result, when you click a link in the XCCDF XML column, the content you see is not formatted in XML.
- * Child report not pointing to the valid link in SQL 2016 SP2
The ReportsSRS will not display correctly in VCM 5.8.5 if it is installed on SQL Server 2016 SP2
Workaround: The default Document Mode setting in IE is "5", change it to "Edge" to fix the issue,
Or, copy the URL of the report page and open it on a new IE tab, the report will display correctly.
- * VCM installation fails on the CM Database Scripts Package step
When you install VCM on the SQL server 2017, the installation fails on the CM Database Scripts Package step (step#18).
Workaround: The installer has already created the VCM database at this point. Using SQL Server management studio, execute the below
SQL command to change the TRUSTWORTHY FLAG to ON and continue with the installation.
In SQL server 2017, use <VCM DATABASE NAME> and execute the below query
USE <VCM DATABASE NAME>
ALTER DATABASE <VCM DATABASE NAME> SET TRUSTWORTHY ON;
Use the following link for workaround and other details:
- * Warning message displays while running SRS reports in VCM Reports(SQL Server 2017 Gold)
When you run the ReportsSRS in VCM 5.8.5 installed on the SQL Server 2017, the following message will be displayed: "This content cannot be displayed in a frame"
Workaround: To see the report, click "Open this content in a new window" on the same wizard. The expected report will open in a new window.
- * Error while upgrading VCM from 5.8.3 to 5.8.5
The VCM upgrade stops on step 4 with the following error message: Could not open INSTALL.log file.
Workaround: Click Yes to continue with the install.
- * SSRS validation fails during upgrade with https
When you upgrade VCM with https, the SSRS validation fails.
Workaround: Use http instead of https and continue with the upgrade.