vRealize Network Insight supports the single-click offline upgrade of the product from Release 3.7 and later.
- The upgrade steps might fail if there is insufficient space in the
/tmpdirectory. Verify you meet the following disk space requirements for platform and collector server:
/tmp- 6 GB
/home- 2 GB
- Verify you meet the following disk space requirement for platform server:
Note: The bundle upload and the subsequent upgrade steps may fail if there is insufficient space in the
/- 12 GB (Only for the Platform1 node)
/var- 40 GB
- To avoid the UI session timeout, go to User Session Timeout to at least 2 hours. After you change the session timeout duration, you must log in again to the system. and increase the
- Ensure that all the nodes are online. If any node is inactive, you will not be allowed to trigger the upgrade.
- Take the snapshots of the VMs.
- Note the following values to verify after migration:
- Count of VMs
- VM where Snapshot Count > 0
- Count of Firewall Rule
- Count of Security Group
- Count of NSX Firewall
- Download the required upgrade bundle file from My VMware and save the update package in your local disk.
- Check and ensure that the
MD5SUMvalue of the downloaded bundle matches the
MD5SUMvalue specified in the VMware website.
- On the Install and Support page, under Software version, select Click here.
- Click Browse to select the file and click Upload.
When the upload is complete, vRealize Network Insight show the Bundle Upload Complete message notification within 2-3 minutes and the bundle processing happens in the background.Note:
- Until the upload of the package happens, ensure that the session is not closed. If the session ends, you have to restart the upload process.
- Do not refresh the page after bundle upload, until you see the Update Available message notification.
- In the Update Available message notification, click View details.
vRealize Network Insight Upgrade screen appears.
- Read the Before you proceed instruction and click Continue.
- Wait for the pre-checks to complete, which verifies:
- the disk space, including the space required for migration
- the version
- the NTP sync status
- the bundle
- Click Install Now.
You can see the approximate time required to complete the upgrade process on your setup.
- Once the upgrade process begins, the vRealize Network Insight Upgrade screen provides the status of the upgrade process.
- If a node becomes inactive, the upgrade process does not continue. The upgrade will not resume until the node becomes active again.
- The platform1 becomes the upgrade server. If platform1 is offline, then no other node is upgraded.
- Once the platforms are upgraded, you can resume your normal vRealize Network Insight operations even though the collector upgrade happens in parallel. Until the upgrade process is completely over, the
Node Version Mismatch detectedmessage is shown in the Install and Support page.
- After the services are upgraded, Nginx restarts to display the migration process. So, you might not be able to access the UI for a short period (one to two minutes).
- vRealize Network Insight starts migrating data to Foundation database. On the Data Migration Status screen, you see:
- the overall status
- the elapsed time
- the table by table status
- the number of records migrated
- The PostgreSQL data on the collectors are also migrated to Foundation DB as part of upgrade process. However, the collector migration status is not shown on the UI.
- Upon the completion of upgrade process, you see the confirmation message.
All platforms and the collectors nodes are upgraded.
What to do next
- Log in to vRealize Network Insight and perform your tasks.
- After two or three days, delete the snapshots to save the disk space.