You can upgrade your current vRealize Network Insight environment to the latest version by following the correct upgrade path.
Important points to consider while upgrade:
- Ensure that you are following the upgrade path. To know about the correct upgrade path, see VMware Product Interoperability Matrix - Upgrade Path.
- After upgrade, vRealize Network Insight takes around 12 to 24 hours to process the data that were in pipeline during the upgrade operation and reflect on the UI.
- vRealize Network Insight does not support rollback or product downgrade. You must take a backup before you proceed to upgrade. For more information about the back up and restore process, see the https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/55829 KB article.
- In a cluster environment, you must perform the upgrade operation only on the platform 1 node.
- After upgrading to vRealize Network Insight 5.1, some of the firewall rule IDs might change to the new IDs returned by the VMware Cloud (VMC) 1.9 API. If any VMware Cloud (VMC) 1.8 firewall rules that are attached to the flows exists:
- the correct or respective VMware Cloud (VMC) 1.9 firewall rules would be attached immediately after upgrade for all active flows.
- the firewall rules would refer to non-existent rules for the flows whose period of inactivity is greater than 24 hours prior to upgrading 1.8 to 1.9 version.
Migration to Foundation DB
- reduce the load on platform 1 node
- avoid single point of failure
- improve resiliency
- enhance performance
- share the disk uniformly across cluster nodes
- shuts down all services
- starts table to table migration from PostgreSQL to Foundation DB
- displays the dynamic migration progress information on the platform 1 UI
The migration time to move data from PostgreSQL to Foundation DB depends on the disk speed and the node count (more nodes provides more Foundation DB write throughput)
|Setup Size||Data Size||Node Count||Typical Migration Time|
|Small||20GB to 40GB||1 node||1 to 2 hours|
|Medium||60GB to 100GB||3 nodes||7 to 10 hours|
|Large One cloud setups||500GB||10 nodes cluster||15 to 20 hours|
|XL (Megatron)||1 TB||10 node cluster||35 to 40 hours|
Note that the migration happens as a part of vRealize Network Insight upgrade process. So, the upgrade time might be longer, which you see on the screen during the process.
vRealize Network Insight provides the different modes of upgrade.