As the system administrator of an online training system, you must monitor components in the Web, application, and database tiers of your environment that can affect the performance of the system. You build an application that groups related objects together in each tier. If a problem occurs with one of the objects, it is reflected in the application display and you can open a summary to investigate the source of the problem further.
In your application, you add the DB-related objects that store data for the training system in a tier, Web-related objects that run the user interface in a tier, and application-related objects that process the data for the training system in a tier. The network tier might not be needed. Use this model to develop your application.
- In the menu, click Environment, then click Groups and Applications in the left pane.
- Click the Applications tab and click the ADD button.
- Click Basic n-tier Web App and click OK.
The Application Management page that appears has two rows. Select objects from the bottom row to populate the tiers in the top row.
- Type a meaningful name such as Online Training Application in the Application text box.
- For each of the Web, application and database tiers listed, add the objects to the Tier Objects section.
- Select a tier name. This is the tier that you populate.
- To the left of the object row, select object tags to filter for objects that have that tag value. Click the tag name once to select the tag from the list and click the tag name again to deselect the tag from the list. If you select multiple tags, objects displayed depend on the values that you select.
You can also search for the object by name.
- To the right of the object row, select the objects to add to the tier.
- Drag the objects to the Tier Objects section.
- Click to save the application.
The new application appears in the list of applications on the Environment Overview Applications page. If any of the components in any of the tiers develops a problem, the application displays a yellow or red status.
What to do next
To investigate the source of the problem, click the application name and see Evaluate Object Information Using Badge Alerts and Summary Tab .
To investigate the source of the problem, click the application name and evaluate the object summary information. See the vRealize Operations Cloud User Guide .