Configure the Kubernetes adapter only when TKGI is not used to deploy the Kubernetes clusters.
- From the left menu, click Repository tab in the right pane. , and then click the
- Click Add Account on the VMware vRealize® Operations™ Management Pack for Kubernetes tile.
Note: Alternatively, you can navigate to , and then click the Accounts tab. Click Add Accounts to configure the adapter instance.
- Click the Kubernetes tile.
Field Name Action Name Enter the display name of the adapter. Description Enter description for the adapter. Master URL Enter the http URL of the Kubernetes primary node. Collector Service Select the Collector Service as per your requirement. The available options are Prometheus Server, Kubelet, and Daemonset.
- If you select Kubelet or DaemonSet as the cAdvisor Service, you can select a cAdvisor service running inside the Kubelet or the one deployed externally as a DaemonSet.
- If you select Prometheus Server as the collection strategy service, you have to provide the server URL details in the credentials section.
By default, some Kubernetes deployments might have the cAdvisor service disabled on Kubelet. In such a situation, the cAdvisor service must be enabled on Kubelet or a standalone cAdvisor service must be deployed as a DaemonSet.
cAdvisor Port (DaemonSet) Enter the port number if cAdvisor is running as a DaemonSet.Note:
If you select Prometheus Server as the collector service you do not have to enter the cAdvisor Port (Daemoset) port details.
- Enter the Credential details of the Master URL.
- Click the Add New icon.
- Select the authentication to connect to the Kubernetes API Server. VMware vRealize® Operations™ Management Pack for Kubernetes supports basic, client certificate, and token authentication types.
Table 1. Authentication Types
Uses HTTP basic authentication to authenticate API requests through authentication plugins.
Client Certification Auth
Uses client certificates to authenticate API requests through authentication plugins.
Uses bearer tokens to authenticate API requests through authentication plugins.Note:
If you select Prometheus Server as the collector service, in the Manage Credential section, you have to provide details for Prometheus Server, Prometheus endpoint username, and Prometheus endpoint password.
For more information, see Kubernetes Authentication.
- From the Collector/Groups drop-down box, select the collector or collector group upon which you want to run the adapter instance. This field is optional.
- Click Validate Connection to validate the connection.
- Use Advanced Settings to define the following:
- Select the collector that is used to manage the adapter processes.
- If the Kubernetes cluster is running on vCenter Server and the same server is monitored by the vCenter Adapter instance, you can view a link from the Kubernetes node to the vSphere Virtual Machine. To view the link, enter the IP address of the vCenter Server instance.
- If you want to monitor Java Process, then enable this option.
- If you want to delete the non-existent objects for a defined period, then select the time frame from the drop-down menu.
The object deletion schedule is applicable to the Kubernetes Monitoring management pack only, and is over and above the global setting object deletion policy.
- If you want to do cAdvisor Install Check, then enable this option.
- Enable this option to include all the Prometheus metric labels (label name & value) under the Prometheus metric group.
When enabling and disabling the field, delete and reconfigure the adapter instance to remove the history metric data from vRealize Operations, if needed. (optional)
- Enter the Prometheus labels that must be excluded from the Prometheus metric group.
The label names must be entered as a list of comma-separated, case-sensitive values. For example, if there are ten labels being displayed and only four of them are required, then the remaining six label names must be added in this field.
- Click Add.