You upgrade the vRealize Operations for Horizon desktop agent on the parent virtual machine, RDS host, or desktop source where it is installed.
The vRealize Operations for Horizon desktop agent is installed as a part of the Horizon Agent installation. See the table in Desktop Agent to find the version installed by your Horizon Agent and determine whether an upgrade is necessary.
For linked-clone desktops, perform the following procedure on the parent virtual machine in the linked-clone desktop pool.
For desktops in an automated or manual desktop pool, perform the following procedure on each virtual machine in the pool.
For desktops provided by an RDS host or physical machine desktop source, perform the following procedure on each server or physical machine.
For an automated desktop pool, you must also modify the virtual machine template so that the new desktop agent is installed on newly created desktops in the pool.
Upgrade the vRealize Operations for Horizon solution.
Upgrade the vRealize Operations for Horizon broker agents in your environment.
If you are upgrading the desktop agent on linked-clone desktops, become familiar with the recompose operation. See the Horizon Administration document for your version.
- Log in to the machine where you plan to upgrade the desktop agent using a domain account that is part of the local administrators group.
- Copy the VMware-v4vdesktopagent-x86_64-6.4-buildnumber.exe or VMware-v4vdesktopagent-6.4-buildnumber.exe file to a temporary folder on the machine and run the file to upgrade the desktop agent.
- Read and accept the EULA and click Next.
- Click Install to begin the upgrade.
While upgrading the desktop agent, you are prompted to close vmwAgent even if nothing related is open. Click OK and proceed with the uninstallation.
- Click Finish to exit the desktop agent setup wizard.
- If you are upgrading the desktop agent on the parent virtual machine for linked-clone desktops, perform the following additional steps:
- Shut down the parent virtual machine.
- In vSphere Client, take a snapshot of the parent virtual machine in its powered-down state.
- In Horizon Administrator, recompose the linked-clone desktops.
The recompose operation updates all linked-clone desktops that are anchored to the parent virtual machine, causing the upgraded desktop agent to be installed on each linked-clone desktop.