To use vRealize Operations for Published Applications to monitor a XenDesktop Site, you must create a Group Policy (GPO) to contain the vRealize Operations for Published Applications group policies. You then apply the GPO to the remote desktops that you want to monitor.
About this task
You use the Microsoft Group Policy Editor to create the GPO. After you create the GPO, you must apply it to a base image or to an Organizational Unit (OU) on your Active Directory server, depending on your configuration.
vRealize Operations for Published Applications group-policy settings are provided in the v4pa_desktopagent.admx file that is installed in the %programfiles%\VMware\vRealize Operations for Published Apps\Broker Agent\extras\GroupPolicyFiles directory.
The language-specific resources, for example .adml files, are installed in the %programfiles%\VMware\vRealize Operations for Published Apps\Broker Agent\extras\GroupPolicyFilese\language directory.
If there is an Authentication Failure for a desktop agent you must update the GPO policy for desktop agent authentication. When you update the GPO policy for desktop agent authentication, and there are other policies that require updating, all pending policies are updated, not just the GPO policy for desktop agent authentication.
- Create an organizational unit (OU) in the domain controller machine.
- If the XD-XA server was already added to the computer account, move the XD-XA server to the OU.
- Access Active Directory Users Computers, and select Computer, right-click your XD-XA server, and in the context menu select Move....
- In the Move object into container window, select the OU you created.
The XD-XA server is now moved to the OU.
- Create a Group Policy object using the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC).
- Copy the certificate string and the RMI URL from the broker agent configuration utility.
- Copy the v4pa_desktopagent.admx file to PolicyDefinitions folder, which is in the c:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions directory.
The v4pa_desktopagent.admx file is in the "%ProgramFiles%\VMware\vRealize Operations for Published Apps\Broker Agent\extras\GroupPolicyFiles directory.
- Copy the v4pa_desktopagent.adml file to en-us folder, which is in the c:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\en-us directory.
The v4pa_desktopagent.adml file is in the "%ProgramFiles%\VMware\vRealize Operations for Published Apps\Broker Agent\extras\GroupPolicyFiles\en_us directory.
- Set the Group Policy.
- On the controller machine, click Start and type the gpmc.msc command in the search box.
- Right-click the GPO that you created and select Edit.
- Select , and double-click the item in the right pane.
- Select Enable and copy the RMI URL and certificate string in the policy template.
You might receive a warning that you exceeded the maximum number of characters per line.
- (Optional) Break the line by pressing Enter, and click Apply, and then click OK.
- Verify on the XD-XA server machine that the RMI URL and certificate string in the HKLM\Software\Policies\VMware, Inc.\vRealize operations for published Apps\Desktop Agent directory. RMI URL is of the format rmi://<vrops_ip>:3095.
What to do next
Install desktop agent on the VDI and RDSH hosts you want to monitor. If you already installed a desktop agent and planned to push through GPO at later stage, there might be exceptions in the desktop agent log files. After the pair token is pushed using the GPO, you should restart the desktop agent service.