As part of the vSphere Bitfusion appliance deployment, you must specify several custom parameters in the Deploy OVF Template dialog box.
On the Customize template page of the Deploy OVF Template dialog box, you customize the deployment properties of the OVF template.
- Verify that you have the vCenter Server TLS Certificate Thumbprint. See Locate the vCenter Server TLS Certificate Thumbprint.
- Verify that the DNS and NTP services you use are set up properly in your environment.
Note: Clock synchronization is important for the functionality of vSphere Bitfusion.
- If you use DHCP, verify that it provides DNS and NTP addresses.
- If you do not use DHCP, specify the DNS and NTP server addresses in the OVF template.
- In the Bitfusion Server Setup section, specify a hostname for the server.
Valid characters for hostnames are the ASCII characters A through Z (both upper- and lower-case), the digits 0 to 9, and the hyphen (-). A hostname cannot start with a hyphen. The hostname is stored in
- In the Bitfusion Server Setup section, enter the vCenter Server GUID and URL as displayed in the address bar of your web browser.
For example, if the navigation bar displays the URL
https://example.vslab.local/ui/app/vm;nav=h/urn:vmomi:VirtualMachine:vm-4450:612d27ff-d297-4573-bdc0-2c0dac8589a5/summary, the vCenter Server URL is
https://example.vslab.localand the GUID is
- In the Bitfusion Server Setup section, enter the user name and password for the vCenter Server instance on which you are deploying the vSphere Bitfusion OVF template.
- In the Bitfusion Server Setup section, enter the vCenter Server TLS Certificate Thumbprint.
- In the Credentials section, specify a customer password.
After the deployment is complete, you use the customer user account to log into the vCenter Server appliance using the console shell or SSH.
- (Optional) In the NVIDIA Driver section, select the Download and Install NVIDIA Driver check box to accept the NVIDIA license.
By accepting the NVIDIA license, vSphere Bitfusion downloads and installs the NVIDIA driver, CUDA libraries, and NVIDIA Fabric Manager during the first boot of the virtual machine.Note: If you are operating vSphere Bitfusion in an environment without access to the Internet, for example, by using an air-gapped network, do not select the check box. You must manually download and install the NVIDIA software after deploying the vSphere Bitfusion appliance.
- In the Network Adapter section, specify the networking configuration for your environment.
You must specify the configuration for Network Adapter 1 that is used for management and data traffic. Network Adapter 1 must be connected to a network that communicates with the vCenter Server instance.
Network Adapters 2, 3, and 4 are optional and are used for data traffic only. Each network adapter must be connected to a separate network. vSphere Bitfusion chooses the network that is most efficient for data transfers to the vSphere Bitfusion server.
Option Description IPv4 Address Enter the IPv4 address of the network adapter. If you are using DHCP, leave this text box blank.Note: IPv6 is not supported. Network CIDR Prefix Enter the network Classless Inter-Domain Routing (CIDR) settings.
For example, if your network uses a.
24 (255.255.255.0)from the drop-down menu.
MTU Enter an MTU size. The default value is 1500. For optimal performance, specify an MTU size of 4000 or greater.Note: If you set an MTU size greater than 1500, verify that the network switches in your data center are enabled for jumbo frames. Gateway Enter the network gateway address to use with the appliance. If you are using DHCP, leave this text box blank. DNS Enter the DNS server address to use with the appliance. If you are using DHCP, leave this text box blank. DNS Search Domains Enter the DNS search domain address to use with the appliance. If you are using DHCP, leave this text box blank. NTP Enter the NTP server address to use with the appliance. If you are using DHCP and the DHCP server supports sending NTP server information, leave this text box blank. Configure Network Adapter Select the check box if you want to configure Network Adapter 2. Repeat for each subsequent network adapter.
- Click Next.
- On the Ready to complete page, review the vSphere Bitfusion server configuration and click Finish.
What to do next
- Pass through the GPUs to the vSphere Bitfusion virtual machine. See Pass Through a GPU to the vSphere Bitfusion Virtual Machine.
- If you chose not to download and install the NVIDIA driver, CUDA libraries, and NVIDIA Fabric Manager during first boot, you must install the software manually. See Installing NVIDIA Software for Use with vSphere Bitfusion.
- You can add more network adapters for data traffic. See Modifying the Network Settings of a vSphere Bitfusion Server in the VMware vSphere Bitfusion User Guide.