To begin the vSphere Bitfusion deployment, you specify information about the product, including its name, location, and storage within your vSphere environment.
When installing additional vSphere Bitfusion servers, you must register the subsequent servers with the first, or primary, vSphere Bitfusion server you installed. You must perform this extra step before powering on the vSphere Bitfusion virtual machine. See Add Subsequent vSphere Bitfusion Servers.
- Download the vSphere Bitfusion OVA file from https://my.vmware.com/downloads/.
- Verify that the vSphere environment on which you are deploying the vSphere Bitfusion appliance meets the minimum system requirements. See System Requirements for vSphere Bitfusion Server.
- Verify that you can log into the vSphere Client as an administrator.
- Verify that the ESXi hosts on which you want to deploy the vSphere Bitfusion appliances are running.
- Log in to vSphere Client as an administrator.
- In the vSphere Client, right-click the ESXi host on which to deploy the vSphere Bitfusion appliance and select Deploy OVF Template.
- On the Select an OVF template page, enter the URL of the OVA file or browse to the file, and click Next.
- On the Select a name and folder page, enter a name for the vSphere Bitfusion virtual machine and select a location for your deployment, and click Next.
- On the Select a compute resource page, select a resource on which to run the deployed VM template and click Next.
- On the Review details page, verify the OVF template details and click Next.
The Review details page displays a warning cautioning that the vSphere Bitfusion OVF uses advanced configuration values that might pose a security risk. The configuration values that trigger the alert are
pciPassthru.use64bitMMIO = trueand pciPassthru.64bitMMIOSizeGB = 256. The first parameter enables PCI passthrough for GPU devices, that require 16 GB or more of memory mapping, and the second parameter configures a memory mapped I/O (MMIO) size of 256 GB. You can adjust this value later in the settings of the vSphere Bitfusion virtual machine.
- On the Select storage page, define where and how to store the files for the deployed OVF template, and click Next.
- On the Select networks page, select the network to use with Network Adapter 1 and click Next.
The network you use with Network Adapter 1 carries management traffic. You can use the same network concurrently for data traffic or add additional network adapters later.
What to do next
The vSphere Bitfusion appliance requires several custom parameters. Complete the Customize template page to customize the deployment properties of the OVF template. See Customize the vSphere Bitfusion Appliance OVF Template.