The VMware Tools configuration utility is a command-line interface that you can use in the guest operating system to modify VMware Tools settings, shrink virtual disks, and connect and disconnect virtual devices.
The VMware Tools configuration utility provides a command-line interface for functionality that was previously available only in the VMware Tools control panel. The name of this program depends on the guest operating system:
- On Windows operating systems the utility is called VMwareToolboxCmd.exe.
- On Mac OS X operating systems the utility is called vmware-tools-cli.
Because the VMware Tools installer does not modify any PATH environment variables on Mac OS X operating systems, you must type ./ before the command.
- On Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris operating systems, the utility is called vmware-toolbox-cmd.
Use the utility's help command to display complete usage information and syntax.
The VMware Tools configuration utility is included in the following VMware products:
- VMware vSphere 4.1 and later
- VMware Workstation 7.0 and later
- VMware Fusion 3.0 and later
- VMware Player 3.0 and later
- VMware ACE 2.6 and later