Installing and Configuring VMware Tools provides information about using the various VMware® products to install, upgrade, and configure VMware Tools.
VMware Tools is a suite of utilities that you install in the operating system of a virtual machine. VMware Tools enhances the performance of a virtual machine and makes possible many of the ease-of-use features in VMware products. For example, the following features are just some of the features that are available only if VMware Tools is installed:
- Significantly faster graphics performance and Windows Aero on operating systems that support Aero
- The Unity feature, which enables an application in a virtual machine to appear on the host desktop like any other application window
- Shared folders between host and guest file systems
- Copying and pasting text, graphics, and files between the virtual machine and the host or client desktop
- Improved mouse performance
- Synchronization of the clock in the virtual machine with the clock on the host or client desktop
- Scripting that helps automate guest operating system operations
Not all features are supported on all guest operating systems or in all VMware products.
This information is intended for anyone who wants to install, upgrade, or configure VMware Tools in a virtual machine. The information in this book is written for experienced Windows or Linux system administrators who are familiar with virtual machine technology and datacenter operations.