When you need to add virtual machines to a datastore, or when the virtual machines running on a datastore require more space, you can dynamically increase the capacity of a VMFS datastore.
About this task
If a shared datastore has powered on virtual machines and becomes 100% full, you can increase the datastore's capacity only from the host with which the powered on virtual machines are registered.
- Select the datastore to grow and click the Increase Datastore Capacity icon.
- Select a device from the list of storage devices.
Your selection depends on whether an expandable storage device is available.
To expand an existing extent
Select the device for which the Expandable column reads YES. A storage device is reported as expandable when it has free space immediately after the extent.
To add a new extent
Select the device for which the Expandable column reads NO.
- Review the Current Disk Layout to see the available configurations and click Next.
- Select a configuration option from the bottom panel.
Depending on the current layout of the disk and on your previous selections, the options you see might vary.
Use free space to add new extent
Adds the free space on this disk as a new extent.
Use free space to expand existing extent
Expands an existing extent to a required capacity.
Use free space
Deploys an extent in the remaining free space of the disk. This option is available only when you are adding an extent.
Use all available partitions
Dedicates the entire disk to a single extent. This option is available only when you are adding an extent and when the disk you are formatting is not blank. The disk is reformatted, and the datastores and any data that it contains are erased.
- Set the capacity for the extent.
The minimum extent size is 1.3GB. By default, the entire free space on the storage device is available.
- Click Next.
- Review the proposed layout and the new configuration of your datastore, and click Finish.